Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

buttons and javascript blanks

• Please log in to reply

nuggets

nuggets

• Pip
  • 7 posts
This has been a recurring problem and an extremely frustrating one (especially when booking airline tickets).

I often cannot perform functions because nothing happens when I click on a button.

Today I went to click on a button and the message I got was:

java script: StartApplication(document.forms[0])

I don't even need to click on the button to get this in the address bar, I just need to position the mouse over the button.

The other day I went to change some settings in a group, and when I deselected some items, and then clicked on update, nothing happened. When I clicked on another button for another action I got the following: java script:void(0);

Why is this happening and how can I fix it?

Thank you!

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
How up to date is your browser and your Java runtime environment? And do you have javascript enabled in your internet options, advanced tab? Another thing is your firewall or antivirus settings may be blocking something.

nuggets

nuggets

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for replying Tyger.

I am not so savvy with computers so bear with me.

I stopped the constant updates from Windows because they were taking up waaaay too much space. As for IE, I haven't updated manually for quite some time and I don't know if this is happening automatically or not. I doubt that it is. Both Windows and Norton took up so much space on my computer (they were eating it up) that an extra drive was added to my computer and the drives were partitioned (programs on one, my work on another).

What does 'Jave runtime environment mean'? LOL I recently updated Java. An icon shows up in my toolbar once in a while and I then update, but it doesn't seem to always work. It has been a while so the details are foggy. Okay. I checked and I have the latest update which was on 5/5/08. I have Java Platform Standard Edition 6 Version 6 Update 5 (build 1.6.0_05-b-13).

I checked in the advanced tab and I would like to know which category I should be looking at. :)
Under the category 'Microsoft VM' the 'Java console enabled' option has not been selected.

I am not sure if I currently have a Firewall! At some point I had zone alarm, the Windows Firewall, and Norton. The latest edition of Norton so messed up my computer, Norton had to go. Okay, I have Windows Firewall and it is currently set to on. Windows Firewall- what should I be looking for and where?

What I do have in terms of anti-virus and anti-spyware: SpyBotSD 1.4, Ad-Aware 2007, and AVG 7.5. Okay, I cannot remember how to check for the settings and what to look for.