Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot update windows vista 32bit version

• Please log in to reply

littlepaws

littlepaws

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
cannot update windows vista home premium 32bit version

Error Code: 80070490

other related problems:

1) turn windows feature on and off (blank)
2) View Installed Vista updates list within program and features also (blank)

Been searching and cannot find a solution other than to do an upgrade ?
Which I do not have a vista cd, because my Compaq computer only has system recovery dics
to install the system back to factory settings, which I do not wish to do.

The last update was 07/05/2008 Update for windows vista (KB940510)

Another Vista bug and no support from microsoft either?

Thanks in advance :)

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Do you have Windows Defender running? If you do, disable it by going to Services, then try for updates again.
What Antivirus do you have and what is your Firewall?

littlepaws

littlepaws

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
DId have Norton Internet Security but removed that and install AVG.

I have a firwall on my router and also using just windows vista firewall.

Disabling windows defender did not work

Edited by littlepaws, 08 May 2008 - 01:49 AM.

littlepaws

littlepaws

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
still have'nt resolved this anyone got any ideas?

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
littlepaws, make sure that your firewall and AVG let Windows Update connect. Sometimes these programs will block connections.

littlepaws

littlepaws

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Tried what you said but still the same ?

I have downloaded updates before this problem, however no updates are now showing and also it says the last update was never?

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Go here, accept the agreement, then see if you can get the updates:
http://www.update.mi...t.aspx?ln=en-us

littlepaws

littlepaws

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
I get this :-

Use your Start menu to check for updates

Windows Update is now included in Control Panel. In the future, to check for updates (or if this webpage doesn’t open Windows Update automatically):

Click the Start button, click All Programs, and then click Windows Update.

Still does not work >?

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Type services.msc in the 'start search' box. Click on the little icon, scroll down to Windows Update. Right click on it and choose properties. If the drop down box doesn't say 'Automatic', change it then restart the service.
While you're in services, check to make sure that Windows Firewall is disabled, since you have Norton's running.

Now, try again to update from your control panel...'all programs'

littlepaws

littlepaws

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
I removed Norton's and im using windows firewall. I have tried to disable all software securities and its does not work.

I have tried what you said and its still the same still cannot update?

Advertisements

Pyro411

Pyro411

• Pip
  • 5 posts
This may help you.

Whenever I run into windows updates / defender update problems on Vista more times then not it's the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder hosing me or the PC I'm working on.

The fix is usually pretty simple

Reboot into safe mode command prompt and follow the steps below
cd\
cd windows
rename SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old <time saver, type in softw and hit tab, that should fill in the rest of the folder name for you>
reboot
Start Windows Updates and hit the get updates for more microsoft products if you need/want it then run a search for windows updates.

if that don't work
Service Pack 1. http://www.microsoft...;DisplayLang=en -- warning this can take upwards of an Hour to install depending on your hardware

I'd also suggest a Full Checkdisk then a sfc /scannow
Sadly I have found vista to corrupt data randomly on good hardware.

littlepaws

littlepaws

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Hi Pyro411

Tried what you said and I still have the same problem ?

Pyro411

Pyro411

• Pip
  • 5 posts
greets littlepaws

I did some looking around on the net for that specific error code. Ultimately the answer has become call 1-866-PCSAFETY if you're in the US or visit http://support.microsoft.com/security since it's a windows update issue it'll be a free support case.

Another solution is to reset these 2 services in this order then reboot & try to fetch the updates again, BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) - Cryptographic
Services - Windows Update)

then at the very end of a few people posting having this trouble they said the ultimate fix came down to them having to pop the vista dvd back in & do an "Upgrade" which takes forever.

Sorry I'm out of ideas at the moment, I'll do some more digging when I get home from work.

littlepaws

littlepaws

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Tried those severice still not working.

my Compaq computer only has system recovery dics to install the system back to factory settings, which I do not wish to do.

I can get a vista cd and try an upgrade, but will this effect my oem compaq installation of vista and also my recovery discs I created when i first brought the machine ?

Also will a normal vista cd work on my oem system and still validate windows vista?

Pyro411

Pyro411

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Paws

if it comes down to it a reload from a true vista dvd is possible, I used my vista ultimate retail disk to reload my Asus G1 OEM install of Home Premium, I did have to call Microsoft to tell them I reloaded it straight out of the box since it musta activated after I first powered it up.

as for the upgrade portion from a standard disk without a reload that I'd say is probably a coin toss, it should work but most likely you WILL lose your recovery option since it'll most likely re-write your MBR with a standard one that doesn't have the compaq recovery partition boot option.