Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GTGDearch Problem

• Please log in to reply

911pchelp

911pchelp

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
This isn't a criticism ... more a 'call for help' !

Have accessed GTG forum many times and received excellent help ... but have always had problems with searches.

Not wanting to ask a question that's already been asked and answered, I try searching first - but usually end up asking because the 'search' results are too big to sort through.

My current problem involves the "'AVG' free edition 8.0 security toolbar". When I use that string to search, the results are huge because AVG appears in many many 'Hack This Lists'. Is there a way to remove certain forums from a search?

Also, I haven't found a description of which search arguments can be used (e.g. does +arg mean the arg has to be present ... do the 's or "s even have any meaning ... etc?).

Should I just ask my question and not be concerned about the 100 (maybe) times others have asked/answered the same thing?

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Since AVG8.0 is almost brand new, I would say that if you cant find it in a recent thread, then it has not been asked yet.

because AVG appears in many many 'Hack This Lists'

HiJackThis Logs?

The search arguments for GTG will be the same as you can use in almost every search portal.

Also, I think you can set the search parameters to certain forums, just use Ctrl+Click to highlight the ones you want.

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Thank You

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
When using the default forum search engine, all search terms must be three characters or longer. This is due to limitations in the database. However, you can get around this by using the Google Custom Search.

For example in your search term "8.0" is considered two one letter words divided by a period.

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
RESOLVED