Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can i get files off a dead laptop?

• Please log in to reply

Samjula

Samjula

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Recently my sisters laptop overheated and completely died, at this point im unsure that it can be fixed, there is a smell of burning from the power adapter port and part of the plastic on the charger plug actually melted so i'll forget trying to get it to work for now.

Now assuming the hard drive is still intact, what would be the best way to get data from it. I've taken the casing off the bottom of the laptop to reveal the hard drive. There is a small plug of some sort coming out of it (i've included a pic), can anyone tell me what this is? and can it be used for data transfer, e.g. some sort of adapter cable that plugs into this and connects to another PC? I believe the hard drive is Serial ATA and as ive built my own computer i have SATA cables lying around, if i remove the hard drive from the laptop would i be able to connect it to my computer with a standard SATA cable or is the connectivity different for laptops?

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance :)

Posted Image

Edited by Samjula, 07 May 2008 - 03:53 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Take the hard drive out and connect it to your computer using a standard SATA cable and a standard SATA power cable.
It will then show up on your computer as a new drive letter. Copy off what you need, if the data is still readable.

Kazzoo

Kazzoo

Visiting Consultant

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Greetings Samjula

Several ways to get the data off a notebook drive.

One way is to install the hard drive to a external enclosure.

The enclosure will have fittings inside for the sata drive and for a power source. These enclosures use a usb cable to plug into any availible usb port on another computer.

It becomes a external drive. Any good computer retailer will have them. Drag and drop your files to your hearts content.

Example link-------------->http://cavemonkey50....rive-enclosure/

Another way is aquire a cable with mulitiple adaptors, a sata to usb cable kit.

Works the same way, but it is not as pretty and is not a permanet solution. I have one of these for doing backups on the fly for people needing computer repairs.

Example link-------------->http://www.compusb.c...andidehadr.html

That cable you are showing isnt anything I have ever seen associated with any harddrive, I am betting its a cable to some device that would be a extra feature to a simular model of laptop. Besides it looks to be on the wrong end of the drive to plug into it.

Regards

Kaz

ShortGirl2

ShortGirl2

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Samjula-

Hey! .. Last time I took the drive out, I broke it! <g> One thing that I've used before to save my stuff is a program called Selkie. It creates a boot disk that lets you access the files system & move your files. Only hitch, is that you gotta be on a network.. But if you are, it's a cool thing to use! Hope that helps ya! :)

**ShortGirl2**

dinnerentre

dinnerentre

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
the cable connection in your picture is probably not related to the hard drive, sata drives usually just slide in to connect, if you posted a picture of the entire bottom of the laptop, i could probably tell you what to take out

Samjula

Samjula

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
@ Neil Jones - yeh thanks for confirming that i thought it'd be the simplest way and the route ill probably take.

@kazzoo - some interesting options but ill only really need to get the data of the laptop this once and dont really want to spend much.

@dinnerentre - the silver thing in the picture IS the hard drive and i know how to get it out, i was just checking there wasnt a simpler way to do it.

thanks all for your help i should be able to get what i need of the laptop pretty easily now :)