Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

easily storing Norton Ghost image

• Please log in to reply

Tom_ZC

Tom_ZC

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've been successfully using Norton Ghost 9.0 and am loving it thus far. My computer is highly customized. Every time it anything has gotten out of whack or unsbable, I've had to spend a ton of time either troubleshooting it or reinstalling everything. The latter literally took weeks because of how extensively I customize numerous apps.

I did a complete system restore and installed and customized all the important apps I use, then made a Ghost image to DVDs. When I needed to restore the image, I booted to the Norton floppy boot disks I made, then ran Ghost/DOS to restore everything. The results were great -- saved me a lot of time. However, it was a little tedious having to keep removing DVDs and putting in the next one. My original plan of putting the Ghost image on my external hard drive didn't work out. I couldn't get Ghost/DOS to see that drive.

I'm considering a couple possibilities:
1. Using Partition Magic create a logical drive just for holding my Ghost images and then restore from there.
2. Puchase and install a second physical drive for holding the Ghost images.
3. Troubleshoot the problem with Ghost seeing the external hard drive.

With these options, can I just copy over the Ghost image I have on the 8 DVDs and then restore just like before except not having to swap out DVDs? Or would I need to create another Ghost image?

Also, someone told me with a second hard drive it should be the same size as my current hard drive, 250 gig, if I want to keep the Ghost image on it. However, the Ghost image that I have now and works only takes up 8 DVDs, which is less than 40 gig. Is he right or wrong.

Which of these three options is the best solution from the standpoint of ease of use. Number 2 is the only one that will cost me any money, but I don't care about that. I can afford it and am only concerned about choosing the best option, the one in which it is easiest for me to just set Norton/DOS to re-imaging my hard drive and then leave it alone until it's done.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Edited by Tom_ZC, 26 April 2005 - 12:16 PM.

Advertisements