Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home network issues

• Please log in to reply

TheCheese

TheCheese

• Pip
  • 2 posts
OK I am trying to share files and printers between my laptop running xp pro and an older machine using windows 2000 and for the life of me I can not get them to show in workgroups or on the win 2000 I can not see the laptop in "computers near me" or "entire network". I have them connected by a wireless router.. meaning I have them both hardwired into the back of the wireless routher using ethernet cable rj45. Any tips on what I can do to share folders and printers here?

Advertisements

G33KSQU3AK

G33KSQU3AK

• Pip
  • 2 posts

OK I am trying to share files and printers between my laptop running xp pro and an older machine using windows 2000 and for the life of me I can not get them to show in workgroups or on the win 2000 I can not see the laptop in "computers near me" or "entire network". I have them connected by a wireless router.. meaning I have them both hardwired into the back of the wireless routher using ethernet cable rj45. Any tips on what I can do to share folders and printers here?

you might need to configure your system to have this access, or you could get a new modem =]

HAVE FUN! :)

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello TheCheese,

I shall be helping you setting up your file sharing.
First off please make sure you have the wireless network secured with either a WEP or WPA code.
Leaving the wireless open means that people can start snooping around in your files which you really don't want :)
If you need help doing this feel free to ask and I'll guide you through.

First could you give awnser to a few questions.
From which computer to which computer do you want to share files, or do you want 2 way sharing?
What sort of files do you want to share?

Regards,
Olrik

TheCheese

TheCheese

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I would like to set up 2 way shareing. I am just tryen to pull the my doc's folder off the older pc so I can upgrade the OS, s0 basically its just word and MS office doc's with about 13 gigs of mp3's. Thanks for helping me out! hope we can get this solved quick!

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Go to your C:\ on both computers and make a new folder called "Shared Files".
Once the folder is created, right click it and hit properties.
On the properties window go to the "Sharing" tab.
Tick the box "Share this folder on the network" and in the text box type: "Shared Files".
Do this on both computers.

At this point you can start sharing files.
But first you'll need the addresses of the computers.
Open Start then hit run.
In the box type: "cmd"
Once a black box pops up type in "ipconfig".
Write down the "IP address" of both computers.

Then to open the folder on the other computer follow the steps below.
Open My computer and in the top hit "Tools"
In the menu click on "Make Network Connection"
A new window will open and you will see 2 boxes.
1 with a drive letter (Let that as it is) and a text box.
In the text box type: "\\<IP>\Shared Files" without the quotation marks and
where <IP> is the Address of the computer you want to open the folder of.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Regards,
Olrik