Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sp3 fails to d/l & install

• Please log in to reply

rigs

rigs

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
I've tried to six times to d/l & install and it fails to do it. When I review the update history the Error Code: 0x8007F0CC is listed.

Thanks

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi rigs...

Do you have a custom boot screen or have you installed something like Window Blinds?

Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties". Under the "advanced" tab, in the "Startup and Recovery" section, click on the "Settings" button. In the window that opens, click on the "Edit" button. A notepad window will open (boot.ini). Copy the contents of that window and paste it here for us.

wannabe1

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Download the SP3 EXE here: http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

or the CD ISO here: http://www.microsoft...;DisplayLang=en

Use either to do the install. Make sure you system is clean, no malware. Shutdown everything you can before starting the SP3 install, and I do mean everything you can.

Took me about 25 minutes to install and all is well.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Different problem, Ztruker...the error points to a nonstandard Windows core file loading at boot. Once we disable that, SP3 should install as advertised.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Ah, I see, thanks for the info. I did not search on 0x8007F0CC and I should have.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
I have tune up utilities and installed a boot and welcome screen using this. This is what's listed:

[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /TUTag=G9F1HW /Kernel=TUKernel.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition (TuneUp Backup)" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /TUTag=G9F1HW-BAK

thanks

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Uninstall it, install SP3, then reinstall.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You'll likely have to redo the custom splash screen... :)

Remove the text shown in red below. Click "File" on the toolbar and choose "Save". Reboot and try to install SP3.

[boot loader]
timeout=0
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /TUTag=G9F1HW /Kernel=TUKernel.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition (TuneUp Backup)" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /TUTag=G9F1HW-BAK

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
It's a portable version of tune up utilities. Do I still erase the text?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...it's telling a non-Windows core file to open on boot. Once it boots to a standard core file, you should be able to install SP3 normally. Then we can try adding the tags back in and see if the custom boot screen still works. It may.....it may not.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
well, it seems to be working. Hopefully you won't see me here for a while.

thanks guys

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Good Luck :)

When SP3 is installed, we'll see about getting the custom screen back.

Tom_q2356

Tom_q2356

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Can I please get help for the similar problem--SP3 installation? And yes, I did have Windows Blind installed on my computer. Thanks very much!

"The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch."

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Tom_q2356...

The boot.ini file you posted is normal.

Have you tried uninstalling Window Blinds and then trying the download/install?

wannabe1

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
partition(2) - that's the 3rd partition on the drive. What is on the first two partitions? Perhaps SP3 is getting confused by something on one of them?