Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Should I Get SP3 From Windows Update Site Or Automatic Systray Icon?

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I was on my pc yesterday and a small pop up appeared in my systray telling me that SP3 was ready to download and install. I didn't choose to install it for nearly 2 hours because I was busy with some other work. When I finally decided to click "download" to the installer pop up, it just fully closed itself and disappeared. & now when I go to the Windows Update site it shows up there as an available download for my pc because I obviously never got it.

My question is it ok for me to do it through the Windows Update site or should I wait and see if the Systray Pop Up Icon comes up again telling me to get it from there? I don't know if theres any difference in the site version and the systray notification version.

- Thanks

Edited by superstar, 07 May 2008 - 09:29 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello superstar...

Get it from Windows Update...it will be the same version either way.

wannabe1

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Hey thanks! I sure hope it doesn't mess any of my programs and stuff up... I may just wait a couple of weeks. How do I prepare for this sort of update on my Windows Xp sp2 Home Edition pc?

The only two programs I always have running in my systray is Avg, and my M Audio sound card volume control center.

Edited by superstar, 07 May 2008 - 10:59 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I would recommend you stop everything you can, except for your firewall then install SP3. Much less chance of something going wrong.

Also, make sure the system is clean, no malware. Clean out all the accumulated junk in Temporary Internet Files and Temp files. CCleaner is a great program to do this for you.

Instead of installing via Windows Update, download the redistributable EXE version here: http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

and use it to install. That way you have it in case something goes wrong. It's about 340MB so it will take a while to download, but not much more than the Windows Update version.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Just a quick warning. Be sure to backup all the files/program install files and everything you want to keep. I DLed from the Windows Update site and install for SP3 went fine. On reboot, Windows would not reload at all. Got BSOD with a different error messeage each time I tried re-booting using every menu item I could bring up. Seems it was said it was trying to wite to a non-executable eaddress or something like that. Finally had to bite the bullet and re-install Windows from scratch which meant installing all programs and drivers I could find. Still in the process of recovering, but I did lose a lot of good files and programs which should have been backed up on line. Seems my auto-backup wasn't doing its job.

SP3 contains all the updates that SP2 has plus some additional stuff. MicroSoft is suppose to be feeding just the SP3 stuff you need and not the entire service pack. I would op to take it in small doses if possible, but after my experience with the full SP3, I will cancel any update coming from SP3.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 10 May 2008 - 02:56 AM.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Sounds like you put up a big fight there Major Payne. Sorry you had to bite the bullet. I could just imagine the headache you had. Darn none of your stuff backed up either. See this is the problem... A lot of people have no issues with SP3 and some do. & it's not just from windows update site but also from their automatic download from the systray. This seems to be a major issue worldwide.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
microsoft does not know what SP3 will do to your machine
It's out there now for feedback via sites like these and beta testers.
I seriously doubt if many of them at microsoft have installed it.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Sounds like you put up a big fight there Major Payne. Sorry you had to bite the bullet. I could just imagine the headache you had. Darn none of your stuff backed up either. See this is the problem... A lot of people have no issues with SP3 and some do. & it's not just from windows update site but also from their automatic download from the systray. This seems to be a major issue worldwide.

Well said... & yet another reason why I won't install it myself. I can't afford to spend time reinstalling 40+ apps. I have backups of my HDD but still...

Edited by superstar, 10 May 2008 - 05:29 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I have no one to blame but myself. My backup was suppose to be backing up all the files/programs I wanted/needed to an online service and I never checked as the popup box showed it ran everyday without a hitch. Or so I thought.

I'll be looking very closely for any auto-updates related to SP3 and will cancel. In fact, I'll be selecting Custom and see what's there to install first.

Ron

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sounds like it time for you to move to Acronis Tru Image :) Possibly the best money I've ever spent on computer software.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I just got Acronis True image too... It seems to be a really safe program! Hey Ztrucker what version are you running?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I tried Acronis 11, then dumped it and went with 10. Version 11 has too many bells and whistles and junk that has nothing to do with backup. Version 10 is clean, and does exactly what a backup program should do, backup and restore your hard drive.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Duplicate post, removed.

Edited by Ztruker, 12 May 2008 - 11:34 AM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Put in a support to M$ and here is an excerpt from their email reply:

Dear Ron,

From your description, I understand that after installed Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3), the computer cannot boot up properly even though we have tried all the options. We have to reinstall the Windows XP with lost of data in My Documents folder. If there has been any misunderstanding, please let me know.

I understand the inconvenience you have experienced. Please be assured that I will do my best to help you.

I am sorry for the inconvenience you have encountered. Service Pack 3 is developed to improve the computer’s performance. However, since different computers have different environments, some installed third party applications or device drivers may conflict with Service Pack 3 which can influence the computer’s performance and cause unexpected problems.

In addition, if you are using a branded computer, which is also known as an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) PC, the operating system and applications on your computer are highly customized by the original computer manufacturer. Therefore, the computer system may not be fully compatible with the standard version of the latest service pack. Usually, they will publish a compatibility patch or installation guide for these service packs.

According to this issue, it can occur if the image of an Intel-based computer is deployed on a nonIntel-based computer. If you would like to reinstall SP3, please let me know so we can disable the Intel Processor Device Driver and then reinstalling SP3 to check the issue next time.

Since SP3 includes previous Service Packs and provide convenient, all-in-one access to the most up-to-date drivers, tools, security updates, patches, and customer-requested product changes. We recommended our customer install it. But if it crashes the system for causing certain issue or you don't want to install it right now, we can temporarily block it from installing and it would not affect our security level if we have other updates installed.

If you would like to install it, please let me know so we can help you install it.

If you don’t want to install it right now, please refer to the following steps to block it so it will not be offered.

1. Download the file from the following link:
Windows Service Pack Blocker Tool Kit
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d7c9a07a-5267-4bd6-87d0-e2a72099edb7&DisplayLang=en

2. Run the file and the SP Blocker Tool window would pop-up.
3. Click Yes and then "Browser" to locate a folder we would use to save the files. For example: C:
4. Click 'OK' and the file would be saved in C:
5. Open My computer and double click to open C drive.
6. Double click to run the "SPBlockingTool.exe" program and we will receive an "Action successfully completed" notice.

After that, SP3 would not be pushed from Windows Update website and Automatic Updates.

If you would like to reinstall SP3, please collect the System Information for further research. As the System Information file is a little large, please wait for enough time when collecting it in order to make sure it is collected correctly.

How to collect the System Information:
==========================
The System Information can provide us with more information about the current status of the system. I would like to check it for you. Please send it to me using the following steps:

1. Click "Start", go to "Run", type in "MSINFO32" (without quotation marks) and press Enter to start System Information.
2. On the popup window, on the menu bar, click "File", and click "Save to"; save it as an NFO file, such as "system.nfo" to your local Desktop.
3. Find the file, right-click on this file, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

Please send it as an attachment to (email address removed)
Note: When attaching files to emails, the process will vary depending on the email application being used. While you are composing the email, most applications will provide you with either an "Attach" button or a Paper Clip Icon to click in order to attach a file. After clicking this button/icon you must browse to the file you wish to attach and select it by either double clicking it or clicking it once and then clicking on the "Attach" button.

Your feedback is important. Please try the above steps and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If there are any questions or concerns, feel free to let me know.

I look forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Amy
(email address removed)
Microsoft Windows Support Professional

Satisfied customers are my top priority. Please let either myself or my manager know what you think of the level of service provided. You can send feedback directly to my manager, Felix Hu at [email protected].

I used the email method, but note the Windows Service Pack Blocker Tool Kit Micro$oft is offering if you want to block SP3.

Ron