Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Transition Issues

• Please log in to reply

LadySoulflower

LadySoulflower

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I found a great tutorial (http://www.instructa...s-XP-on-an-Acer) for switching from Vista to XP on an Acer laptop. I just bought an Acer from Best Buy myself (Extensa 4420), but was stuck with Vista. Since our IT folks at work really hooked up our version of Vista, I decided to give it a go at home, just so that I could say that I at least tried (don't wanna be a sheep & follow what everyone's saying just 'cuz they say so). Naturally, I got sick of falling asleep during page downloads, so I wanted to switch back. I liked the nifty show Vista put on, but it seems to be all smoke & mirrors. My comp "only" has 2GB DDR2, but geez...

Everything went smoothly, at first. After I tried using "Update Driver" in Windows, I did a little poking around on Acer's website. I did a lot of "trial & error" with the drivers - I almost downloaded everything that was available for XP. I let the computer tell me if the associated device wasn't present on my comp. Pretty soon, I was able to determine whether the driver seemed redundant. After completing SP2 updates (and the other stuff I needed), I got the blue screen of death three times. It never stayed up long enough for me to read, but the computer would freeze for about 15 secs, then flash the BSoD, then restarted. I suppose this happened about every 20 mins? I thought this had stopped after I got further down the list though, so I assumed it was a driver issue. It has happened about two more times since then (2 days ago), & I started to notice that my comp doesn't really wake up well after sleep mode. Up until today, I just had to reboot. (Oh, & I finally found my way to disable AutoRestart).

After at least trying to update everything, I noticed a few oddities (in order of importance to me):
1) I can't seem to update a few of the drivers:
- Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter (HUGE DEAL for me!) - I can't seem to find an XP driver. When I try to extract the files for Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver (Broadcom_4311_v4.100.15.5_XP), my computer has an error reading some file. I was able to install "Broadcom LAN Driver Ver. 10.26.0.0" though, but the card still doesn't work. The wireless LAN switch works to enable/disable, not that this matters right now.
- Modem Device on High Definition Audio Bus/Agere Systems HDA Modem. Windows says this hasn't tested as XP compatible.
- SM Bus Controller (what the heck is this anyway?)

2) The ATI window opens upon startup. There's nothing in the folder, except another folder called CIM. I'm not sure how to get rid of this.

3) It took a LOT to get SP2 downloaded - I had to disable the graphics driver in order to keep the computer from crashing. (It took about 10 crashes for me to figure this out.)

Question: What is "Post Acer Disk Formatter CD ISO Image"? I tried to download it, but Windows didn't know what program to use & neither did I. Didn't bother to save it, since I figure I can go back to get it any time.

Sorry this was long; help would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Hi LadySoulflower, welcome to G2G.

First, to stop your computer from automatically restarting when a BSOD occurs (blue screen error):

Right click on My Computer.
Click Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery Settings.
Uncheck box for "Automatically restart"

If/when you get the next BSOD, post the info here, especially tyhe 0xnnnnnnnn part.

The driver for your network card is available in many places. See here: http://www.google.co...G=Google Search

For the ATI window, click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab and uncheck anything that has to do with ATI.
Click Apply then OK. Reboot and see if the problem is gone. If yes, you can go back into msconfig and enable the ATI items one at a time till you find the culprit.

Re: What is "Post Acer Disk Formatter CD ISO Image" - this appears to be a utility toi use with the Acer recovery CD or hidden hard drive partition. Nothing you need. Not a lot of info available on it that I could find.

LadySoulflower

LadySoulflower

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Perhaps I shouldn't have done both things at once, but I downloaded the
Broadcom driver & turned off the ATI file before restarting.

1) when I opened the driver setup file, nothing happened after I accepted
the EULA. Then I realized that I had only unzipped the file. I clicked on the Install Shield - it disappeared the first time, so I waited a bit
then clicked it again. Everything went through, but the card still isn't working. When I checked Device Manager, I still saw the yellow ! next to
the device name. (I got the driver from:
http://drivers.softp...oad-14408.html)
I'm going to restart in a sec & if something changes, I'll make edits.

2) When I unchecked the ATI file in the Startup menu, I got a message implying
that I don't have administrative privileges (there was an admin error). However,
the changes were made & I got a pop up instructing me to restart.

THEN

When the comp restarted, I first got a popup that says:

System Configuration Utility
You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to the way Windows starts.

The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startup mode, causing
this message to be displayed and the utility to run every time Windows starts.

Choose the Normal Startup mode on the General tab to start Windows normally and undo the
changes you made using the System Configuration Utility.

[]Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows start:
[OK]

THEN

I got another popup (before I could even read the first one all the way):

The system has recovered from a serious error.

A log of this error has been created.

SO

I clicked to see what the details were:

Error signature -------------------------------------------------------
BCCode: 100000ea BCP1: 88735DA8 BCP2: 8A0B7418 BCP3: BACF7CBC
BCP4: 00000001 OSVer: 5_1_2600 SP: 2_0 Product: 768_1

Reporting details -----------------------------------------------------
The usual spiel about how the report includes pertinent info about Windows, OS, IP addy, we won't stalk you or sell your info, etc.

I clicked to see the Error Report Contents:

C:\DOCUME~1\Amanda\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERa380.dir00\Mini050508-02.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Amanda\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERa380.dir00\sysdata.xml

AFTER THAT

I read all that, I sent the error report & got this:

Windows cannot find
'http://oca.microsoft...d38ce9&LCID=103
3&OS=5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then
click Search.

The webpage that opened said:

Follow these steps to solve the problem with a video device driver

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused Windows to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.

Solution

There are two options you can use to try to fix the problem. If the first option doesn't work, then try the second.

Option 1: Install the most current device driver for your video card

Go online to check for an updated version of a video device driver on the Microsoft Update website:

Click to go to the Windows Update website

If there are no updated drivers listed on Microsoft Update, we recommend you contact the manufacturer of the video card for additional support. Let them know that you received an error for a video device driver and ask if product updates are available.

If there are no updated drivers on Microsoft Update and you don't know the name of the video card manufacturer, we recommend you contact your computer manufacturer for additional information and support.

How do I find my computer manufacturer (OEM)?

You can find the name of your computer manufacturer (also known as the original equipment manufacturer or OEM) by following these steps:
o Click Start, click Run, type msinfo32, and then click OK. Your computer manufacturer is listed in the right pane of the System Information window.

Option 2: Manually decrease Hardware Acceleration for your video adapter

This procedure prevents the display device driver from programming the hardware incorrectly, but you might lose some display functionality and performance.

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Display.
2. Click the Settings tab, and then click Advanced.
3. Click the Troubleshoot tab, move the Hardware Acceleration slider to None, and then clear the Enable Write Combing check box.
4. Click OK, and then click OK.

To the side was a link:

Technical Information
Error Message: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078)

which led to this page:

Error message in Windows XP: "STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER"
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 293078
Last Review : December 21, 2007
Revision : 4.0
This article was previously published under Q293078
On This Page
SYMPTOMS
CAUSE
RESOLUTION
General users
Method 1: Use the Windows Error Reporting tool
Method 2: Install the latest driver for your video adapter
Method 3: Contact the video card manufacturer to obtain and install the latest driver
Method 4: Replace your video card
Advanced troubleshooting
Method 1: Disable or update device drivers
Method 2: Adjust the Hardware Acceleration
MORE INFORMATION
SYMPTOMS
You may receive one of the following Stop error messages in Windows XP:
STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

STOP: 0x100000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M

Back to the top
CAUSE
This issue might occur if the graphics adapter is caught in an infinite loop while it waits for the video hardware to become idle. This issue typically indicates a problem with the video hardware or that the graphics adapter cannot program the hardware correctly.

Back to the top
RESOLUTION
General users
Method 1: Use the Windows Error Reporting tool
1. Click Send Error Report when you are prompted to send the error report to Microsoft.
2. If a fix or a workaround is available, click More Information. This helps you obtain the fix or information about how to work around the issue.
Method 2: Install the latest driver for your video adapter
To detect and to install the latest driver for your video adapter in Windows XP, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com)
Method 3: Contact the video card manufacturer to obtain and install the latest driver
For information about how to contact the manufacturer, click the appropriate article number in the following list to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
65416 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/65416/) Hardware and software vendor contact information, A-K

60781 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/60781/) Hardware and software vendor contact information, L-P

60782 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/60782/) Hardware and software vendor contact information, Q-Z
Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.
Method 4: Replace your video card
For information about how to replace your video card, please see the documentation that was included with your computer.

Back to the top
Advanced troubleshooting
These methods are intended for advanced computer users. If you are not comfortable with advanced troubleshooting, you might want to ask someone for help or contact support. For information about how to contact support, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://support.micro....com/contactus/ (http://support.micro....com/contactus/)
Method 1: Disable or update device drivers
1. View the Microsoft Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) to determine whether the PCI devices in the computer are compatible with Windows XP. For information about the hardware compatibility list, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft...cl/default.mspx (http://www.microsoft...cl/default.mspx)
2. Update the video adapter drivers to the latest versions.
3. If a driver is listed by name in the Stop error message, disable or remove that driver.
4. Disable or remove any drivers or services that you recently added.
Note If the error occurs during the startup sequence, and the system partition is using the NTFS file system, you may be able to use safe mode to rename or to delete the faulty driver. If the driver is used as part of the system startup process in safe mode, you must start the computer by using the Recovery Console to use the file. For more information about video adapter drivers in safe mode, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
292460 (http://support.micro....com/kb/292460/) How to troubleshoot the video adapter driver in safe mode in Windows XP
Note If the problem is associated with the Win32k.sys file, the problem may be caused by a third-party remote control program. To remove the service, use the Recovery Console to start the computer, and then delete the specified system service file.
Method 2: Adjust the Hardware Acceleration
1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Display.
2. On the Settings tab, click Advanced, and then click the Troubleshoot tab.
3. Move the Hardware Acceleration slider to None, and then click to clear the Enable write combining check box.
4. Click OK, and then click OK.
Note This procedure prevents the graphics adapter from programming the hardware incorrectly, but you may lose some display functionality and performance. Although you can increase the hardware acceleration settings higher than None to regain functionality and performance, these settings increase the possibility that the issue will occur again. For maximum stability, leave hardware acceleration off.

Back to the top
MORE INFORMATION
The Stop error message may also occur in video adapter drivers that do not represent a physical device. For example, this Stop error message may occur in the virtual video adapter driver that is used by Symantec PCAnywhere. If PCAnywhere is installed on a computer where this error message occurs, visit the Symantec Web site to determine whether there are any available fixes for your version of PCAnywhere.

The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, about the performance or reliability of these products.

If this information does not help you resolve the problem or if you experience symptoms that differ from those that are described in this article, search the Microsoft Knowledge Base for more information. To search the Microsoft Knowledge Base, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com (http://support.microsoft.com/)
Then, type the text of the error message that you receive, or type a description of the problem in the Search Support (KB) field.

Back to the top
APPLIES TO
• Microsoft Windows XP Professional
• Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
• Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

Back to the top
Keywords:
kbresolve kbtshoot kbenv kberrmsg kbhardware kbprb KB293078
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I just installed the ATI drivers the other day, so I'm not sure what the deal is.
At the same time, the deceleration option doesn't seem like a smart thing, either.

Edited by LadySoulflower, 08 May 2008 - 08:30 PM.

LadySoulflower

LadySoulflower

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok, the update:

I restarted & got another serious error & System Configuration Utility notice.

Error signature:
BCCode : ea BCP1 : 88E4EB30 BCP2 : 89921008 BCP3 : 8979D050
BCP4 : 00000001 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1

The error report contains:
C:\DOCUME~1\Amanda\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERac30.dir00\Mini050508-03.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Amanda\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERac30.dir00\sysdata.xml

I'm re-enabling the CLI Start file (that's what I'd unchecked from the Startup before). I got the Admin error again; I'll let y'all know what happens after I restart.

LadySoulflower

LadySoulflower

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Okay, restarted, the ATI window is back, so no System Configuration Utility, but I'm still getting the error messages:

BCCode : 100000ea BCP1 : 8963C5E8 BCP2 : 8A1277C8 BCP3 : BACEBCBC
BCP4 : 00000001 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1

C:\DOCUME~1\Amanda\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERaebc.dir00\Mini050508-04.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Amanda\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERaebc.dir00\sysdata.xml

Webpage tells me it's the same issue [Error Message: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078)], so I'm about to disable the video driver for now.

Bedtime is calling...

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
When you use msconfig and change things, it's normal to receive the System Configuration Utility notice. Just check the box that says Don't show me this again.
Also sounds like the drive you just installed is not the right one for your video, though it appears to be the right one form the description.

Try booting to Safe Mode then going to Device Manager, right click on the video card and roll back the driver to it's previous level.

LadySoulflower

LadySoulflower

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Okay, I uninstalled the ATI driver & tried to let Windows find one. That didn't work out, so I tried the driver on my Acer CD, but it's not XP compatible. I went back to the Acer website & downloaded ATI VGA Driver Ver.8.371. When I clicked setup, I got a notice:

SETUP cannot proceed because the length of the specified directory path plus the installation folder name exceeds 88 characters.

Please shorten one or both below the specified limit, and try again.

[OK]

Not sure how to do this... There's another setup option, issetup. I'm assuming this has to do with Install Shield, so I'm about to try that.

LadySoulflower

LadySoulflower

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Okay, some good news & some bad news.

I couldn't get Windows to start in safe mode, so I manually uninstalled the ATI driver, the Broadcom driver, & any driver that didn't have a corresponding device. Then, I rebooted & tried to let Windows find the right drivers. It detected both the network card & the graphics card, but could only find drivers for the network card (I'm mobile again, YAY!) Things didn't work out for the ATI card, so I tried the driver on my Acer CD, but it's not XP compatible. I went back to the Acer website & downloaded ATI VGA Driver Ver.8.371. When I clicked setup, I got a notice:

SETUP cannot proceed because the length of the specified directory path plus the installation folder name exceeds 88 characters.

Please shorten one or both below the specified limit, and try again.

[OK]

Not sure how to do this...

I tried all the other setup files in all other the folders, but none of them would let me go forward. Either there were too many characgters, or "Access denied". I finally had success with the CCC (Catalyst Control Center) setup, but I think that's what started popping up during startup, so I may have to disable that again. We'll see what happens in a bit!

LadySoulflower

LadySoulflower

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
k, that didn't really work. The annoying window came back, but the video card wasn't "turned on". I uninstalled & found a newer driver here: http://game.amd.com/...p=xp/radeonx-xp & that seems to be installing ok. I have to restart; let's cross our fingers!

P.S. I hope my ranting chronicles are helping someone else out there so that you don't have to go through all the same drama!

UPDATE: My computer is working wonderfully! Thanks to Ztruker for the help!

Edited by LadySoulflower, 10 May 2008 - 12:16 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Phew .... you are one persistent person. Excellent job though. Very happy to see you're working again.