Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Memory Error Installing XP SP3

• Please log in to reply

VidenTheColdOne

VidenTheColdOne

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
When i try to install XP SP3, it gets most of the way through it and then it starts popping up an error window that says the following

713xRMT.exe

The Instruction at" 0x636e315e" Referenced memory at "0x009219b0".
The memory could not be "read"

Click OK to terminate the program
Click CANCEL to debug the program

If i click OK, the same message just pops back up, and canceling brings up a strange C++ program. I would like to install SP3, but this is preventing me from doing so. Any help getting past this would be apreciated.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I am just downloading xp-3 now. I never installed it but I am sure that what I'll say is correct just as it is to the installation of sp-2.

The file you mentioned is regarded by some as malware. I suggest that you run a thorough scan for malware with some good antimalware programs to make sure that the computer is clean. You may run the initial steps recommended in the malware forum of GeeksToGo. A link to the forum is available in my signature.

After the malware scans run disk cleanup and disk defragmantation.

Switch off your modem or router and disable your antivirus and other antimalware programs that run in the background. That is usually done by right-clicking the icon on the task bar and choosing to disable or exit the real time protection.

Now install XP-3.

When finished, reboot the computer and turn the modem on.

Have a look at this link about what Microsoft recommends about the installation process.

VidenTheColdOne

VidenTheColdOne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
lowl, i feel like im going around in circles. I just posted on another forum about malware issues, and after several scans and log posts he told me everything looked good, and to come here. Now your telling me i DO have malware, lowl.

http://www.geekstogo...ed#entry1233081

Thats the other post. Could someone please help me either get rid of whatever is wrong with my computer, and or install XP3? Thanks! ^_^

Anything you need is yours, just let me know.

VidenTheColdOne

VidenTheColdOne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Ooooooooh, i know what it is! Its from a stupid remote control program from a PCI-TV card i had a while ago. How do i get rid of it? I dont use it anymore.

VidenTheColdOne

VidenTheColdOne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
i got rid of the program, tried again, and got all these messages, same memory thing, these are the names:

wmiprvse.exe
shmgrate.exe
verclsid.exe
sessmgr.exe
mofcomp.exe
regsvr32
faxpatch.exe
rundll32.exe
spupdsvc.exe
smbinst.exe
msoobe.exe
spnpinst.exe
sc.exe
Helpsve.exe
Uploadm.exe
HSCUpd.exe

Any ideas why it's doing this?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Did you follow Skeptic's advice about disconnecting your modem so you are not hooked to the internet, then turning off your antivirus? Also shut down everything else you can by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del, clicking on the Process tab and disabling everything that is not absolutely needed.

That will probably get rid of your errors.

Also would be a good idea to run chkdsk to make sure there are no files system problems.

Click on Start then Run, type chkdsk /r and press Enter.

You will get a window that says the check could not be performed ....
Do you want to schedule this disk check to run the next time you restart the computer?
Click on Yes.

Shutdown and reboot.

Allow chkdsk to complete undisturbed. This can take a while on a large hard drive.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Sorry for the double post. I somehow switched my forum view from Standard to Outline and did not realise I had already posted my response.

Edited by Ztruker, 08 May 2008 - 06:53 PM.

VidenTheColdOne

VidenTheColdOne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I got it installed. I cycled through the error messages so i could write them down, and they finnaly went away, and the installer finished going through, it reset, and SP3 was installed. Thanks for the help!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Good luck. The truth is that I don't understand your last message of "cycling through the error messages" but never mind. What I said in my first post was that the file that you mentioned is regarded by some as malware, which is true.

The whole idea about this guidance was to create optimal conditions for the installation of SP-3. This is not just another update. It's a very large and complex one and million things can go wrong. Many people who installed SP-2 on their loaded computers ended up with lots of problems. SP-3 will not be different, I am sure about that. You can increase chances for success considerably by taking the steps I suggested, and I would recommend them to anyone.