Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My copied CD is blank?

• Please log in to reply

HeyItzCath

HeyItzCath

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Dell Dimension 3000 with Windows XP. I copied pictures from the PC to a blank CD. I then viewed the pictures on the CD. I sent the CD to my friend. When she put the CD into her Dell, the CD is blank. If you right click on the drive the CD is in and go to properties, it says the CD is full, but there are no pictures on it. If I put into my PC, the pictures are there. This has also happened when I copied some pictures from my HP laptop onto a CD and then put the CD into my Dell Desktop, the CD was blank but showed that it was full under properties. Am I doing something wrong?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi HeyItzCath, welcome.

How did you copy the files to the CD? Did you use a CDR or a CDRW disc? What software did you use, Roxio, Nero, NTI, ???

Perhaps all you need to do is close (finalize) the session. There should be an option in the software you used to do this.

HeyItzCath

HeyItzCath

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I used a CDR and I used the windows copy to a cd wizard. And I did finalize it under that. My harddrive was going bad, so I copied a bunch of pictures to a CD. When I got my new Dell, I put the CD in and nothing showed up. But, when I right clicked on the D drive where the CD was it said it was full and the file type was RAW. I have never heard of a RAW file type.??????

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
RAW means unformatted, so XP is not seeing the data on that disc for some reason. Do you still have the old computer? If so, can you try again?

Or better yet, try putting the old drive in the new computer as a slave, then see if you can access the files you want directly. May be enough life left in the drive to allow you to do that.

HeyItzCath

HeyItzCath

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
How do I put it in the new PC as a slave drive? Do I just simply take the cover off and install it and then turn the PC back on?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
do not use ANY packet writing software to copy data to cd's or dvd's ...this is exactly the kind of problem
that can happen...the computer that burns them can read them but sometimes its the only one that can...then when that system dies..your backups are unreadable to any other system...
use nero ...roxio...or sonic to burn cd/dvd's ...

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
happyrck, the windows copy to cd wizard is not packet writing software. It's the XP built-in burner software. I use it when I want to burn simple stuff to cd. You select the data, right click on it, click on Send to and select your burner as the target.

XP stages the files and gives you a popup that you can click on to actually burn the files to CD. MS purchased the software from some outfit and included it in XP, but I can't remember the name of the original.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
just like incd...I have had clients that thought their stuff was backed up using windows "send To " only to discover
(to their horror) that other computers don't even see the data...I'm pretty sue its packet writing but even if it isn't the results can be the same...just my 2 cents worth
a little more research says its a .ISO image that xp's cd writing uses...more here..

Edited by happyrck, 12 May 2008 - 11:48 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
It uses the ISO 9660 file system, but so does all other CD burning software, be it Nero or Roxio, NTI, etc.

Try it. It writes bog standard CDs and from what I can see, you can add additional files a few times but will run out of room for the session data if done too many times. It is not packet writing software, just a very basic CD burner.

I think the problem the OP is having is that it doesn't close the session, nor do I see any way to close the session using it (though it may be that I just don't know how to close tell it to close the sesson), so I believe that is why the files on the CD are not viewable on "some" other computers.

http://windowsitpro....ng-feature.html

prasharry2k5

prasharry2k5

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Just download the evaluation version of ISOBuster and recover the files from your cd. I think at least you can get your data back. If at all any data has been written to the disk, ISOBuster will help you out.

Edited by prasharry2k5, 14 May 2008 - 10:39 PM.