Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reformatting

• Please log in to reply

JayBern

JayBern

• PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
Greetings,

I currently have three laptops and a desktop at home and I think its time to do some reformatting with them. As for one of the laptop, I don't think I still have the original Windows XP installation CD with me. Bought this laptop about 2.5 years ago. (HP) In fact same goes, for the rest. The only ones that I've got the CD in hand now is my desktop and the most recent laptop.

What if I reformat and not do any installation? How important is the CD? Can I just do a clean up without removing the already-verified Windows? (All my Windows are 'Genuinely Verified'.)

Jay

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi Jay. If you don't have the CD, don't format. You'll have nothing to install, the laptop will be useless.

What is the make/model of the laptop. Perhaps it has a built in recovery partition? If not, you can order a replacement CD from the manufacture for a reasonable fee, $15 to $30.

Is the laptop having problems? Maybe we can clean it up and get rid of all the unnecessary programs that are starting at boot. Then it may run a lot better so a format and reinstall is not necessary.