Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AVG 8.0 - Email Sanning and Security Toolbar

• Please log in to reply

911pchelp

911pchelp

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Not sure if right forum (tried posting to Malware Removal Guides and Tutorials, but wasn't allowed) - just tell me and I'll repost.

Can I tun off email scanning in AVG 8.0?

Saw someplace (maybe here - can't remember) that email scanning wasn't necessary - true or not. With AVG 7.5 could turn it off ... with 8.0, I see where to turn it off but when I do, the tray icon has a 'red x' (looking like AVG is not active).

Also, what about the Security Toolbar? Is it necessary (or even worth it ... i.e. any good)? I installed it but 'turned it off' (i.e. don't display it in Firefox - takes up too much space). If not needed, can I just reinstall AVG to get rid of it?

AVG 8.0 'seems' to cause my PC to run a little slower ... but thats basically just an impression and maybe a little premature. I've only used for 1 day.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
E-mail scanner is one of the most important features of any antivirus and should not be disabled.

You don't have to install the Security Toolbar. I loathe these toolbars which accumulate to the point that hardly any free space is left to see pages. Besides, many toolbars cause problems. Whenever I see one I uninstall it.

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
I'll keep email scanner then.

My Question: can I just reinstall AVG 8.0 ... will it 'uninstall' the 'old' one automatically?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I don't know. Try and see what happens. I guess it will work.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You can just disable the AVG toolbar junk in IE via Tools / Manage Addons. No need to reinstall.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Sure, ztruker is correct. For some reason I thought that you ask if you can install AVG 8.0 on top of AVG 7.5.

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
RESOLVED