Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DSLR camera

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I'm in the market for a DSLR camera. My birthday is coming up and this is going to be a birthday present to myself.

The criteria that the camera must meet.
-Total cannot exceed $1000 (this total would include a lens and camera). I'll be buying it in canada, but canadian prices are essentially the same as american prices these days.
-I want a minimum of 10MP for photo manipulation and photo enlargements.
-Automatic functions would be nice, but not needed (I want this so that I can use the camera as I learn the ropes of DSLR, though I'm pretty sure this is a standard feature)
-MUST support the RAW photo format
-Support a live view LCD
-Cannot be Sony, I really don't like their overpriced flash cards.
-Image stabilization

Camera's I'm considering at the moment.
Canon EOS Rebel XSi 450D (only one camera that I can find that'll meet all of my criteria)

In addition to the above, anyone know of any good macro lens?

I'll fully admit I'm a n00b when it comes to photography, but I cannot stand the limitations of point and shoot cameras any more. My largest annoyance is the limitations and low quality photos in low light situations.

James

Edited by james_8970, 08 May 2008 - 01:35 PM.

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Low light is low light. While my Canon Digital Rebel XTi is better than any of my Point-n-shoot cameras in lower light, its still not anything to write home about. Nothing will be. You have to have decent light to take pictures, thats just how it is.

I love my XTi. I have a great image stabilizer, its called a tripod. If I'm in a hurry, its called a monopod. You want good pictures? Don't expect the camera to do the work for you. Ever.

Beyond that, good luck. Best thing that you can do is find someone with the camera you are considering and go play with it. If you cant do that, go to a good camera store and play with one there.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Low light is low light. While my Canon Digital Rebel XTi is better than any of my Point-n-shoot cameras in lower light, its still not anything to write home about. Nothing will be. You have to have decent light to take pictures, thats just how it is.

I agree, nothing will be perfect, but anything will be better then what I'm currently using, it's a lower end point and shoot camera. The "noise" in the images are unbearable.

I have a great image stabilizer, its called a tripod.

Yes, I have one already, though I won't be bringing it with me when I travel, which is why the imagestabilization feature is an asset to me. While I don't expect the camera to do the work for me, the feature will decrease the likelihood of a blurry image. Will it eliminate it? No, that's impossible, but like I have mentioned, every little bit helps.

If you cant do that, go to a good camera store and play with one there.

I guess bestbuy wouldn't qualify :)
I plan on going to some local shops later this week to have a look around.

Do you have any suggestions or know of any other cameras that I may be interested in?
James

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I know a bunch of people who shoot the Nikon cameras, but I didn't care for them. I liked the sleek look and the menu layout on the Canon much better. I looked at them all when I bought mine.

Best Buy would work, but the ones around me don't have lenses on the cameras. So while you can see the body of the camera, the rest is a mystery. I went to a real camera shop and got to try out different cameras, lenses, and other stuff that made the trip worth while.

I have 2 tripods and 2 monopods. One regular of each, that you would expect to see. I also have to "mini" versions of each. The smaller monopod can fit in your pocket. It works great for traveling and certainly helps stabilize. Granted, it only extends to 2 feet, but if you can find a ledge or table, thats all you need.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

I know a bunch of people who shoot the Nikon cameras, but I didn't care for them.

Yeah, I'm considering the Nikon D60 as well, but it lacks a few features that I want, though it's also 200$ cheaper then the Canon.

Best Buy would work, but the ones around me don't have lenses on the cameras. So while you can see the body of the camera, the rest is a mystery. I went to a real camera shop and got to try out different cameras, lenses, and other stuff that made the trip worth while.

The bestbuy in canada seems to have bundles (e.g. body and one lens), though the selection is very limited which means I'll likely have to order online and then choose in-store pickup if I choose to buy from them.

As far as monopods go, I completely forgot about them and they are something that I'll likely need to purchase as well.
James

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Hi James, did you figure out which camera you're gonna go with? I'm also looking for a DSLR but can't justify its costs :)

Kamille

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Hi James, did you figure out which camera you're gonna go with? I'm also looking for a DSLR but can't justify its costs :)

Kamille

Didn't get this bump, as e-mail notication for each thread ends after a 2 week period. Either way, I ended up getting the Canon XTi, partly because I got the lady behind the counter at Future Shop (canada's best buy) to knock $120 off the camera (who ever said the prices were non-negotiable?).
I was going to spend more, but figured there was no need to spend any more then $630 on a camera as I'm buying a macro lens, hood, wide angle lens (maybe), zoom lens (maybe a telescope, not sure though as they aren't practicle) and a tele-converter (found a really good one for a good price, it's used and local). All that stuff will easily set me back another grand, not to mention the CF card and other toys I spent on my initial buying day. I'm waiting to find everything used at Henry's (online shop) or locally to save a lot of money, I can usually knock off a lot of money, even if the seller states that the price is firm.
I looked at the XSi and was worried about the additional noise that the higher resolution would cause in low light conditions. I was also seriously considering the D60, what pushed me over was the fact that my cousin bought a XTi and we could switch lens amongst ourselves, if we ever wanted to. Both the Canon XSi and Nikon D60 are great camera's.

I love the camera, just wish I wasn't working as much as I am. I've only gotten the chance to take the camera out of my house twice since the purchase. I'll be working on a farm in one month for harvest, I'm hoping to get some really nice wildlife pictures, as well as pictures of harvest. They really is no better place to take a picture, then on a farm. The fact that my grandpa owns 300 acres of forest/pasture, is another huge bonus as I see deer, porcupines and all sorts of wildlife there when I'm out on a quad (no, I'm not referring to a processor).

I hoping to fool around the HDR within the next week, the images look unbelievable.
James

Edited by james_8970, 24 July 2008 - 09:55 PM.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
I bought the Nikon D60 instead as it was on sale at Bestbuy for $899 and comes with the 55-200mm lense (that usually costs ~$250), Futureshop had it on sale too but came with a tripod instead (I already have one :)).

I've taken my camera a few times and there was a time where I didn't want to lug it around so I was considering just taking my P&S camera however the picture isn't as good so I ended up bringing my Nikon DSLR.

The only thing I don't like about the Nikon D60 is that it doesn't have Live View.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

I bought the Nikon D60 instead as it was on sale

I stood in futureshop for 1 hour fooling around with the two camera's and getting the person behind the counter to lower the price. To this day, I still couldn't tell you which one I prefer.

comes with the 55-200mm lense (that usually costs ~$250)

I'm not sure if it's just me, but I find if they don't don't focus from the rear, they become a nuissance. That being said, you need to pay an arm and a leg for these lens, which is why I'll only buy them used.
Have you taken a look at Henry's? I think I'm going to buy something from them soon, just to give them a try. They seem to price match competitor prices, a must have feature for all retailers. Even if I can save a dollar, I'm going to price match (yes, I'm cheap).

The only thing I don't like about the Nikon D60 is that it doesn't have Live View.

Very few SLR camera do have this feature now. Originally it was a big deal to me, as it's what I was used to, but the more I thought about it, the less I wanted to use it. For one it's not an accurate representation of what you are going to get for the final product and two it's a major drain on battery life.
James

Edited by james_8970, 24 July 2008 - 01:38 PM.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

I'm not sure if it's just me, but I find if they don't don't focus from the rear, they become a nuissance. That being said, you need to pay an arm and a leg for these lens, which is why I'll only buy them used.
Have you taken a look at Henry's? I think I'm going to buy something from them soon, just to give them a try. They seem to price match competitor prices, a must have feature for all retailers. Even if I can save a dollar, I'm going to price match (yes, I'm cheap).

I do agree that the lenses are so expensive that's why I waited for the sale and lucky enough that they came in a bundle. One other reason I went with Nikon is that I heard you can use old lenses on most Nikon bodies but lucky for you that you have someone to share lenses with. Most people I know criticize me about spending a lot of money on this DSLR instead of spending $250 on a P&S :) Pictures looks awesome though on these DSLR and I love having that freedom to change settings. On my Sony P&S, all it does it makes the picture brighter and/or darker :)

Very few SLR camera do have this feature now. Originally it was a big deal to me, as it's what I was used to, but the more I thought about it, the less I wanted to use it. For one it's not an accurate representation of what you are going to get for the final product and two it's a major drain on battery life.

There are still a few times where I'm taking a picture and I look at the LCD thinking it has Live View and then realize I need to use the Viewfinder, I just got used to my P&S.

Thanks for the tip, I've never heard of them, I'll check them out!

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Most people I know criticize me about spending a lot of money on this DSLR instead of spending $250 on a P&S

Yup, I get that all the time. I'm trying to invest more money into glass right now, rather then buying a higher end camera, that'll be out of date soon.

Thanks for the tip, I've never heard of them, I'll check them out!

It looks good, they also carry used equipement, plus rate it, to inform you of it's condition.
http://www.henrys.co...enrys/index.jsp
James