Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

McAfee uninstall

• Please log in to reply

newcomer21

newcomer21

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
I have uninstalled McAfee using the uninstaller from McAfee. Running Vista Sp1. There is no sign of another AV on my computer but everytime I try to install AVG it says that there is and to uninstall it first. Can't find it.

Thanks,
Newcomer21

Edited by newcomer21, 08 May 2008 - 06:39 PM.

Advertisements

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
Hi newcomer21,

Your not supposed to post Hijackthis logs here in this forum so please edit it out… anyways I didn’t see McAfee in you log, but try this:

1.Click on the following link to download the MCPR removal tool

http://download.mcaf...atches/MCPR.exe

2.Click Save and save the file to your desktop
3.Close all McAfee Application windows you may have open, and double-click on MCPR.exe to start the removal tool. Windows Vista users will have to right-click on the file and select "Run as Administrator"
4.After the removal tool finishes, you should be prompted to restart your computer.
5.Once the computer restarts, your McAfee product should be uninstalled.

When your done, try to reinstall AVG and let me know what happens :) .

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Uninstall SuperAntiSpyware and also Windows Defender.

newcomer21

newcomer21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Sorry about the HJT. :)

I have already used the MCPR removal tool and it said McAfee was successfully removed, but AVG says I still have an AV installed. :)

Edited by newcomer21, 08 May 2008 - 06:43 PM.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
Deckard's System Scanner

Please download Deckard's System Scanner (DSS) and save it to your Desktop.
  • Close all other windows before proceeding.
  • Double-click on dss.exe and follow the prompts.
  • When it has finished, dss will open two Notepads main.txt and extra.txt -- please copy (CTRL+A and then CTRL+C) and paste (CTRL+V) the contents of main.txt and extra.txt in your next reply.

newcomer21

newcomer21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
DSS log deleted

Thanks,
Newcomer21 :)

Edited by newcomer21, 09 May 2008 - 09:25 AM.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
Hi newcomer21,

As per our discussion in the live chat…. Let try this:

Fix with HijackThis

Please re-open HiJackThis and scan. Check the boxes next to all the entries listed below.

O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [DM_CleanUpC:\Users\DEBRAH~1\AppData\Local\Temp\McDMTemp007] cmd /c rd "C:\Users\DEBRAH~1\AppData\Local\Temp\McDMTemp007" /s /q
O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [DM_CleanUpC:\Users\DEBRAH~1\AppData\Local\Temp\McDMTemp007 (2)] cmd /c rd "C:\Users\DEBRAH~1\AppData\Local\Temp\McDMTemp007 (2)" /s /q

Now close all windows other than HiJackThis, then click Fix Checked. Close HiJackThis.

After that, Reboot,

===============================================

ATF Cleaner

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
This program is for XP and Windows 2000 onlyDouble-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

===============================================

Using Windows Explorer (to get there right-click your Start button and go to "My Computer" ), please delete these folders (if present):

C:\Users\All Users\McAfee

After that try to install AVG and let me know how it turns out. Those are the only things I see in your log related to MacAfee.

newcomer21

newcomer21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
I opened HJT and the two lines you asked me to check were not there. I had saved the log and looked back and saw them in the log but when I opened HJT this time they were not there. Also, I could not find any folder that had McAfee. I ran the ATF cleaner. After all that, AVG still recognized another AV on the computer. So, what I did was go to McAfee and downloaded a 90 day trial version until I can look at this later. Thanks for all your help.

Newcomer21 :)

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
It might be a problem with AVG 8.0 since it’s fairly new… Here are some very good and easy-to-use free A/V programs if you want to try them. AVG, Avast, and AntiVir. It's a good idea to set these to receive automatic updates so you are always as fully protected as possible from the newest virus threats.

NOTE: DO NOT install more than one anti-virus program. They will conflict, and provide less protection, not more.

Maybe some one else will come along with a little more info or ideas. :)

*Also I know I asked for it, but please edit your DSS log and delete it, as they should not be in this forum. I only wanted to see it here, since you can’t post it in live chat when we were talking.*