Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help me with my new build

• Please log in to reply

ziggy16

ziggy16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Also, I was on the gigabyte website, and I looked up the supported memory of that mobo, and G.Skill ( the memory I was going to use) is not on that list of qualified vendors. Take a look for yourself..am I missing something?

http://www.gigabyte....35-ds3l_2.0.pdf

Advertisements

ziggy16

ziggy16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
If the G.Skill memory isn't compatible (which I don't think it would be), should I use this A-Data DDR2 800 ram?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820211066

or go with some DDR2 1066? (Kingston Hyper X) I'm not sure if I would even reach 1066 speeds with the CPU I'm using. General consensus is you need the 45nm CPU's to reach full speed.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820104008

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

The current cards on the market are not able to fully saturate the PCI-Express x16 bus, let alone the 2.0's higher capabilities. You won't notice any problems here.

The G.SKILL RAM will work fine in that motherboard, all it's simply saying is that Gigabyte haven't tested it themselves. There are so many configurations possible (so many RAM manufacturers, makes, models, etc...) that they test a few that do work well and publish it.

As long as the specifications agree (the motherboard is able to support it), then you won't have an issue with compatibility.

Cheers

Troy

ziggy16

ziggy16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Ok great! one last question then before I order parts. Should I go with the DDR2 800 or 1066? I read that that G.Skill DDR2 800 is pretty overclockable.. up to like 1000. If I OC the memory, will the timings and voltages change?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi again,

I would go for the DDR2 800MHz RAM. The performance gain you will receive with the 1066MHz RAM would not be worth the extra $$$ outlay, in my opinion.

You would have to overclock the CPU a fair way before you will be overclocking the RAM as well...

Cheers

Troy

ziggy16

ziggy16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Ok thanks a lot for the help. I will probably order these parts this week..and get them sometime next week. If I have any issues, I will post back on this thread...hopefully I don't get any parts that are DOA, that will be annoying. Have a good one.

reubenb

reubenb

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Is the modular cabling something I would really want here or no?

I just finished building a new system using a Thermaltake modular power supply. If you haven't already ordered your system, I strongly recommend you go with the modular cabling. My new system is so much neater without the mess of unused cables which clutter up the case in my old one.