Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New build with old hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Bushisland

Bushisland

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hi,
I am planning to use my existing 500 GB Western Digital hard drive in my New build. It has Vista Home Prem (OEM) installed on it. This is married to the Bios of the old MoBo, so I cannot reuse the OS. I am buying the same version to install with the new MoBo. Can I install the new OS over the old one or should I do a complete format of the drive? If I do need to format can I use a thumb drive with a third party program to format it? I would do this just before dismantling the computer. If possible, What would a easy program to use off the web? (free would be nice). :)

Thanks

Edited by Bushisland, 08 May 2008 - 06:22 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If there's nothing on the disk you want, then just boot off the Vista DVD and wipe it from there. Far easier than trying to go around the houses when the disk will do it for you.

Bushisland

Bushisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

If there's nothing on the disk you want, then just boot off the Vista DVD and wipe it from there. Far easier than trying to go around the houses when the disk will do it for you.

So you are saying I can do a clean install using the new OEM disk. I didn't think I could do that. Thanks for your help.

bushisland

Edited by Bushisland, 09 May 2008 - 04:00 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
OEM disks are designed to be installed on empty unformatted hard drives. By their design they will have formatting abilities available, since its not possible to store data on a drive unless its been formatted.

Bushisland

Bushisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

OEM disks are designed to be installed on empty unformatted hard drives. By their design they will have formatting abilities available, since its not possible to store data on a drive unless its been formatted.

Got it! :) Thanks again.

bushisland