Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Install Help Needed

• Please log in to reply

pippi

pippi

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have a friend who bought a computer from a college, It was cleaned up reformated and ready for install. Her son decided to put in a win98 upgrade instead of a new program (my friend wanted XP). Well the install failed, now when we turn the pc on it boots to a quick win98 screen shot then directly to dos She has a win xp CD and I went into the bios and set the cdrom to boot first but can't get anything to happen just the same prossess, quick 98 screenshot and dos. Help I want to help her get this running. Help!! Help!! Advice would be appreciated!!! :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
if you have the cd-rom booting first, the windows xp install should start regardless....something is wrong here

check the cabling, check the drive

pippi

pippi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok, checked cables and checking drive, have to go to work so will work on this when I return. this time it booted to A drive and a diagonostic for CD rom drive it may be that a driver is missing so I will check out this info before resubmitting any more questions....K :tazz:

pippi

pippi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Cables are fine, but the computer is not loading the disc in the CDRom I can hear it functioning but nothing happens. When I boot to start with cdrom it comes up with lots of details in DOS such as The diagonostic tools were successfully loaded to drive D, MSCDEX version 2.25, Copyright info, Drive E: = MSCD001 unit 0, To get help type HELP then Enter, Lastly an A prompt. when I enter help there is a full blue page with help info for Win98 but I can't figure out where to go from here. I am at a loss.

pippi

pippi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Cables are fine, but the computer is not loading the disc in the CDRom I can hear it functioning but nothing happens. When I boot to start with cdrom it comes up with lots of details in DOS such as The diagonostic tools were successfully loaded to drive D, MSCDEX version 2.25, Copyright info, Drive E: = MSCD001 unit 0, To get help type HELP then Enter, Lastly an A prompt. when I enter help there is a full blue page with help info for Win98 but I can't figure out where to go from here. I am at a loss.

pippi

pippi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Could some one please help me with this dilemma? I need to firgure out how to tell why this cdrom is not loading winxp, if it is the need of a driver or what.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
here's something I tried earlier today on a win98 system:

bootup on win98
install a windows xp cd
using explore, go to the cd and double click on setup.exe

was successful in installing xp from there

this will write over win98. NTFS must be selected which will overwrite fat32.

pippi

pippi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
this computer won't boot to win98 just dos with an A prompt. ???