Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Media files disappearing

• Please log in to reply

KelJu

KelJu

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
At work, we have one desktop that is plugged into a DSL and stays on all of the time. Our XP machine bit the dust, so a few months ago we got a new Vista machine. The problem is now that we have the vista machine, files constantly go missing. We have tons of pictures of our products (antiques) that we email to clients, and print out for customers. The files are being deleted remotely some how. I know it isn't someone at the shop, because I am the only computer literate person here, and I am the only one who uses the work pc.

I have Microsoft Zune software installed, and I download podcast of NPR shows for us to listen to while we work, and those files kept being deleted too. I would have to constantly re-download the podcast because they were begin deleted. I have a second harddrive that I run Norton Ghost on, so I moved the download path of the zune software to the second drive, and the files stopped being deleted.

Today I tried to email a picture to a client, and the entire picture directory is gone. It was there yesterday night, but today they are missing. That directory was 3 months old and had at least 1000 pictures. I already went through the virus scenario. I downloaded every program and run every scan, but nothing was found. the drive is clean, so I assume it is a remote attacker just having fun with us.

Today I selected to block all incoming connection in vista firewall. That is the last thing I can think to do. This juts seems like the weirdest problem I have ever seen.

Advertisements