Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tricky Network Forwarding Question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

dl516

dl516

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have two computers, one at my desk and one at a remote work location. I can share files between these two PCs via a common mapped network drive. That is the only apparent connection between the two PCs. The remote work location does not have internet for security reasons.

My goal is to Remote Desktop from the remote PC to my desk PC. I am wondering if there is some way to forward the Remote Desktop traffic through the shared mapped network folder. Any way this might be possible?

Advertisements

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
This could be possible with an SSH port forward, but other than that I don't see how it's possible if the two computers are separated by the internet without some security risks. But, no, it's not possible to use Remote Desktop with a shared folder. To use the SSH port forward method, you would have to have some knowledge of a linux or the like type environment.

I'm assuming this is job related? If so, do you not have an IT department that could set something up for you?

dl516

dl516

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes, it is job related. However, at the remote site they are very concerned with security. When I ask them to allow this connection, they are concerned it will compromise security. I don't think IT (or management) really understands how to do it properly or that it could be done securely. I just get a completely close-minded response. It doesn't matter that this connection could greatly enhance my productivity.

Anyway, I figured if I could make something work using the existing connection between the two PCs, i.e. the common network storage server, then I'd have the functionality I would need and the network settings would not be changed and no one could claim it compromises security.

I'm not sure what you mean by "if the two computers are separated by the internet without some security risks". The two locations can both talk to the same network server already and apparently IT is comfortable with that security. I don't know whether they use the internet or some private connection, but I don't think it matters.

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
Well, frankly, since this is a job related issue, this will have to be solved by your IT department. I'm not confortable telling you how to get around the security of your company. It was put there for a reason and obviously they feel that it doesn't need to opened up.

If you really need access to this server, I suggest that you take it up with management rather than trying to figure out how to get around the security.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
As stated in our Terms of Use, we are not here to replace your IT department, nor will we help you bypass your corporate security department. Topic closed.