Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help need to do clean install...

• Please log in to reply

b3av

b3av

• Pip
  • 6 posts
When trying to launch the System Recovery utility bundled with my E-machine T5212 I get the error message unable to find start.exe

try the CD backup cannot find cd creator.lgg

:) anybody know where I can dl these files or am I SOL?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What do you mean "launch the System Recovery"? What exactly are you doing? Are you booting from the hidden recovery partition, from a recovery CD or from a program in Start / All Programs?

I couldn't find a Users Manual on the Emachines wen site for the T5212, just downloadable drivers and machine spscifications.

b3av

b3av

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
System recovery program is bundled with the PC to use the hidden recovery partition, with it you are supposed to be able to do a reinstall or a complete clean install.

Even if there is a way to boot from the recovery partition or something along those lines would work for me.

Kazzoo

Kazzoo

Visiting Consultant

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Greetings b3av

I am thinking Ztrucker is asking HOW you are trying to do this. Are you using a recovery cd to boot? Created by you or provided by Emachines?

Are you trying somesort of key Like f10 at boot?

Are you attempting to restore from within Windows through the Recovery center?

Regards

Kaz

b3av

b3av

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
There is a folder in my main start menu called system recovery, there are three shortcuts there.

1. Application and Driver recovery

2. Create my drivers-application CDS

3. System Recovery

the application and driver recovery works, the other two don't. I don't have any recovery CDs so I'm trying to figure out how to do it from the partition. I tried to reboot use F11 key but it asks me for cd/dvd to reinstall from there as well.

So to answer the question it's a program in the start menu that was the first problem, but I've also tried the F11 key.

I hope that makes a little better sense :)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If you right click on System Recovery in the System Recovery folder, and select Properties, what does it point to?

Have you tried running the System Recovery while booted to Safe Mode and logged in as Administrator?

Have you tried contacting eMachines?

b3av

b3av

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\START.EXE /run

and as administrator/safe mode it does the same thing.

The system is no longer under any kind of waranty so hesitant to contact e-machine tech support lol. If nobody has a good answer for me in a day or so I'll suck it up and see what they say. :)

Thanks for your efforts at help guys.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What happens if you open a Command prompt, then do the following:

Note: upper/lower case doesn't matter for the following:

cd \WINDOWS\SMINST
START /run

Are any errors displayed? If not, look in the Event Viewer (Start / Run type eventvwr.msc and press Enter), see if any errors are logged at the time you entered the start /run command.

b3av

b3av

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
There is actually no start.exe in that folder

*edit heh therefore the only error is that it cannot find the file :)

Edited by b3av, 12 May 2008 - 05:28 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Yup, guess that explains why it's not working :)

If F11 doesn't get you into the hidden recovery partition then I don't see that you have much choice but to contact eMachines. Any chance a different Fn key works, like F10 or F12?

Hmmm, you mentioned a backup CD. Is this one you created. If so, any chance it has the files you need on it, even if it won't boot?

b3av

b3av

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
hehe guess I'll have to go to E-machines thanks for your efforts tho ztruker very much appreciated. I'll get back on here and let everyone know what's up.

as far as the backup cd; I mentioned I didn't have one and he tool to make one on the computer is also missing from it's folder