Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Device Manager

• Please log in to reply

Ziad

Ziad

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I read some previous posts under this topic and tried the AproposFix, which didn't make a difference. So, I ran HijackThis and here's the post from it. I hope you can help me resolve this problem, which I discovered about two weeks ago after trying to install a Logiteck cam. Thank you in advance for your help.

Attached File  HiJackThis_log.txt   13.35KB   81 downloads

Edited by wannabe1, 09 May 2008 - 08:19 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You definitely have some malware on your system. This is the wrong forum to get it worked on though. Please edit your post and remove the HJT log. Then go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve them.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Ziad...

You might also check to see that the Plug and Play service is running. Click Start, then Run, type services.msc and click "Ok". Locate "Plug and Play" in the list and double click on it. It should be started with a Startup Type of "Automatic". Is that what you find?

wannabe1

Ziad

Ziad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Wannabe1,

Thanks for replying. That was one of the first thing I did as I was looking for a solution on the MS knowledge Base. The PnP service was running and on automatic.

I am now doing what Ztrucker recommended and going the malware route. We'll see what happens from there. it's kinda annoying not to be able to install webcams or other devices that rely on USB ports.

BTW, this is a notbook. A Compaq Presario X1000.

Thanks.

Ziad

Ziad

Ziad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi ZtRucker,

I can't find a copy of ComboFix. Can you please point to a location that is not infected (getting an infected message from all three sites when I link to download ComFix).

Thanks.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Ziad,

Please only follow the instructions in the Start Here topic that Ztruker pointed you to. Do not download and run Combofix unless specifically asked to by a malware helper. It is a very powerful tool, and should not be run without instruction. Once you've completed the steps outlined and posted a hijackthis log in the Malware Removal forum, someone will be along to give you further instructions. Please wait for those instructions.

Thanks,

sari