Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Help! Laptop monitor strange cut-offs

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey there, this is my first time posting.. hopefully you guys can help me out a little because frankly I'm stumped.
Anyways the problem is with my Dell notebook, there is a pretty strange thing showing up on my laptop screen. The bottom 1/3 will show up completely black when i boot up.(included Pictures)

Now, when the problem started happening i found that i could apply a small amount of pressure to the flex cable near the left hinge and the problem would correct its self and over time the problem gradually became worse and worse.

Sooo, with some dick tracy detective skills and some pretty obvious observations i thought it would be the flex cable going form the video card to the monitor.. sooo after a lot of pointless calls to dell to find out that they only sell the flex cable included with the LCD($500 bucks) i gave up and settled for the identical part off of ebay. Moral of the story the picture looked just about the same, and strangely enough the top of the picture looked slightly worse.

Now heres the weird thing... the problem seems to slightly correct itself the longer the laptop is up and running (20ish minutes). Its not 100% back to normal but it will fade from black to white which takes about 5 seconds.. and if you wait say 30 minutes it will eventually start displaying the bottom portion of the screen but will only display at a very low frame rate (roughly 1 fps).

So, i really have no idea... i dont think its the video card because when i hook it up to an external it displays perfectly.

any ideas or suggestions?

I will post some pictures tomorrow, i gotta jet to work right now.