Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hp pavilion dv9000z

• Please log in to reply

justs0me

justs0me

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a HP pavilion dv9000z and all of a sudden it shutdown by itself and on reboot the CPU fan didnt work and it wouldn't access the hard drives the hard drive light was on but it freezes at the BIOS. i was able to get into windows XP once by luck, i dunno why it allows me to boot the OS rarely; and i updated the BIOS and rebooted but no change. it just has a black screen and will stay there untill i hit the button to turn it off. i contacted HP support for this and i went through all the trouble shotting with them, but they just want me to send it in... but the warranty is no longer in affect on it... any ideas? i think its the motherboard, but one hp dude said it could be the cpu fan, but i wouldnt think it would have cause that.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
well if the cpu fan quit working it could be overheating which means it could act that way... It could also be the power supply. Since it is an hp does it have a green light on the back where the power plugs in? if so is the light on? solid or blinking? if it is blinking the power supply probably needs to be replaced.... other components may also be having issues but not necessarily....

FadeToBright

FadeToBright

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

well if the cpu fan quit working it could be overheating which means it could act that way... It could also be the power supply. Since it is an hp does it have a green light on the back where the power plugs in? if so is the light on? solid or blinking? if it is blinking the power supply probably needs to be replaced.... other components may also be having issues but not necessarily....

I'm with shard92 on this one. Most definitely sounds like a overheating issue though.