Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Serious domain problem.

• Please log in to reply

Arfinwulf

Arfinwulf

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hello board,

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this question. One of my company's domains has expired and the host we registered it with will not give us the password/login to manage it via Tucows (where they registered it on our behalf). Why? We left their hosting service back in December and another company now host's our website via our main domain (which we control). However, the other domain was pointing to our main one and now it no longer does that as, presumably, it's expired--on 27Apr in fact. I e-mailed Tucows but according to the message screen after it just went to the company that registered the domain, which does not help as they don't return calls or e-mails. We want our domain back in our hands, not in the hands of the old host who won't talk to us.

I did a whois search and found our old host's name as the registration service provider and registrant. The registrar of record is Tucows Inc., but I can't seem to be able to talk to them directly as they apparently re-directed my e-mail inquiry (fill in the blank version) to our old host. Grrr.

Advice appreciated!

Cheers,
Arf.

Advertisements

ipods619

ipods619

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hey Arfinwulf,

In all honesty, if your domain expired, you have a low chance of getting it back soon. But, you have a few options:

1) Talking with the sales department (or even supervisor) at Tuscows
2) Wait until the domain expires
3) Pay a little extra to buy out the domain. (i.e. If normal cost is $10, pay $20)

Other than that, I'd say your stuck. I suggest you put an auto-renew on the rest of the domains you have. It'll prevent your company from falling into this ditch in the future.