Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SNDSrvc.exe application error

• Please log in to reply

cjpchad

cjpchad

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Please help. My system was doing fine until it automatically updated and wanted to restart. I kept postponing it and finally shut it off after I was through working. The next time I go to start it up, all I get is the wallpaper and the mouse does move. So I reinstalled Windows XP (which has the service pack 2) from the cd. Got all going again and since automatic update was turned on it downloaded the updates and wanted to resart. This time, I let it restart immediately. Same thing. Nothing but wallpaper and mouse movement. (Backtracking.....the reinstalled Windows was install on the first screen, let it search for previous installations, then repair) I reinstall/repair Windows and let Norton Internet Security run live update and then I do a full system scan. Nothing found. So, I go and update Windows XP again and after resart get the same old problem. The error messages are : SNDSrvc.exe application error
and The instruction 0x709106c referenced memory at 0x00540000. Memory could not be written.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
p.s. It also upon startup would say that automatic update had encountered a problem and needed to shut down. The same for Norton update. I tried all three options ....debug, send and don't send. Nothing changed.

Edited by cjpchad, 26 April 2005 - 02:22 PM.

Advertisements

cjpchad

cjpchad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
UPDATE for anyone interested in above post referencing system crashes after automatically updating windows:

Brief history -- running Windows XP Home with Service Pack 2 Everything running fine until automatic update of April12 Got system going again with Windows repair. Updated all Norton and did a full scan and got nothing. Visted this site and downloaded Adaware and CW Shredder --scans showed nothing Also was running stopzilla. Went online to the recommended antivirus scan and came out clean. Went back updated Windows and after restart could not get past wallpaper. System restore did nothing and could not boot in safe mode. Repaired Windows again and this time at the microsoft site I made a list of the 16 critical updates needed and downloaded them by number one at a time onto a cd. Got offline, quit all programs including Norton and downloaded the first update Windows Installer 3.1 After restart system did the same thing. This time after repair, I get on tech support phone call with Microsoft. Techsupport went through every error message that I had gotten earlier and tried several things. Then sent me a email with the link to download Windows Installer 3.1 CRASHED AGAIN. Long story short, after an hour on the phone the tech suggest I either call their research department or reformat the harddrive and make a fresh installation. Being completly disgusted, this is what I did. However, after Windows XP was installed from the cd, I installed the updates that I had downloaded to cd. Then I installed Norton and got back online for the latest definitions. Checked for any other updates from Windows and it said I was up to date. Don't know what happened, but it must have been some glitch between my Dell 4700, Norton Internet Security/antivirus and that Windows INstaller 3.1. Maybe if I could have ever gotten to safe mode I might have been able to update without crashing. Just though I would post and possibly help someone else. Thanks for a great site. CJ