Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Good components list?

• Please log in to reply

Tony SR

Tony SR

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, This is my first forum. I am In the process of building a new gaming computer, Just waiting on my parts (6 days already) . This will be my FIRST BUILD and I am a little nervous about this. Are there any good articles and or videos on this subject. I have tried utube. Also, This Is what another computer help forum recommended as far as component parts for my build, I am a little concerned about the power supply. What do you guys think about the components list? I went with a 500gb hard drive, and can you give me any hinter on my build? Thanks. ok heres a components list with a budget of $1500

***ALL PRICES RETRIEVED FROM WWW.NCIX.COM***

Motherboard: EVGA 780i SLI link
CPU: Intel E8400 link
Graphics card: 9800GTX link
RAM: OCZ SLI-Ready DDR2 1066 2Gb (2*1Gb sticks) link
HDD: Seagate 250gb 7200 RPM link
Optical drive: LG DVD Burner link
Case: Antec 900 gamer case link
Power Supply: Corsair 620HX link

Edited by Tony SR, 10 May 2008 - 02:30 PM.

Advertisements

ziggy16

ziggy16

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Those links don't work...but just looking at them, they seem ok. I don't know if you planned on using SLI or not because you haven't said if you are using 2 of those or not, but if u AREN'T, then ditch that mobo and you could try the Gigabyte GA-p35 which is way cheaper and has the best reviews of a LGA 775 on newegg.com. You said you went with a 500gb HD, but up there you have listed a 250gb HD? Personally, I don't even need more than 160gb, but depending on your uses, you may need more. Everything else looks okay tho, just specify if you want to use SLI, and that will make a big difference.

Tony SR

Tony SR

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Sorry about the links, I also ordered more ram than I have listed 2gb total of 4gb. I think down the road I will use the SLI. One thing I am concerned about Is installing the motherboared. I know you have to watch the hole alighnment and put In standoffs. But I have been hearing nightmear storys on building your own computer. But I have already comitted and the parts are bought and on their way. I have been reading and watching everything I can get my hands on.

Edited by Tony SR, 10 May 2008 - 02:33 PM.

ziggy16

ziggy16

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
well.. if I were you, I would install the parts on your motherboard, outside the case. This is how I built a few computers in the past, and it saved you a lot of hassle. First time builds are always sort of scary...You want to make sure you press firmly down on your ram and video card, but not too hard, or you will break things. This can sometimes we a very fine line...you know you have the parts in when you here them click into place, and a small plastic piece on the pci or ram slot, will move into place. Good luck with your parts, hopefully everything works out. Btw, what OS are you using? It says on your profile you have XP. XP will only recognize half of your ram if you are getting 4gb. I really haven;t used vista yet, my room mate did, and he was not a big fan of it. Vista will allow you to use all 4gb(something like 3.5gb will actually be used), so take that into mind, as well.

Tony SR

Tony SR

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Choosing An operating system Is another delemma, I have a copy of Vista and I hate It. But all new systems have It And like my son says Xp support will run out soon. I like xp but really hate to shell out $200.00 for It.

Edited by Tony SR, 11 May 2008 - 12:18 PM.

ziggy16

ziggy16

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I got windows XP and sp2 all illegally. Just about every piece of software I have, I got illegally.

Edited by ScHwErV, 12 May 2008 - 06:24 AM.
Edited to reflect how ziggy actually got his software.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
ziggy, we do not condone, nor support the use of illegal software here. Since you have openly stated that everything you have on your computer is stolen, we cannot help you further here.

ScHwErV :)

Tony SR

Tony SR

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey man,What are you talking about??? I think you must be reffering to someone else! Ilegal software?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Don't worry Tony, he was referring to ziggy, who apparently was advocating illegal software use before his post was edited. :)

Anyways, why do you hate Vista? Just because it changes a few things and takes you out of your XP comfort zone doesn't mean it must be bad. :)

Also keep in mind that only Vista supports DX10, which will allow you to get the most out of your graphics card when gaming.

eat_more_veg

eat_more_veg

• Pip
  • 1 posts
ScHwErV was talking about ziggy16. Please calm down Tony SR. :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Actually ziggy's comment about the RAM is incorrect also. Any operating system that is 32-bit will not be able to see any more than 4GB of RAM. 32-bit operating systems (including XP and Vista 32-bit) will report approximately 3.25GB available for use.

A 64-bit operating system (include XP and Vista 64-bit) will report all of it as available.

To the OP, it looks like quite a nice build there. The only thing I would change is the PSU if you do run SLI. For one graphics card, that PSU will do the job nicely (it's a very good one), but for SLI you will want a more beefy power supply.

I would not recommend running SLI unless you were doing it all at once. By the time you want to add a second card down the road, there will be a newer, single card out that performs just as good. :)

Cheers

Troy