Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Problems

• Please log in to reply

Niles

Niles

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I am having trouble with my daughter's laptop, an Acer running XP Home. It is very slow and when clicking on programmes to try to get them to load, including the start menu, it flashes but won't stay on screen. Also - firefox won't load - we just get a message saying "stopped" in the bottom left hand corner.

Someone suggested it might be a ram problem but I have replaced this with a 1gb stick that was working ok in another laptop and there has been no improvement.

I am thinking of re-installing windows but before I do if anyone could give me any advice it would be much appreciated.

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum but I am not sure if it is a software or hardware problem.

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hi there Niles

When a laptop is running slow it could be a few things such as ram or spyware/malware.

You have already replaced the ram with a 1GB stick which was working fine in another laptop so it maybe malware which is causing your laptop to run slow. What I would suggest is head over to our Malware removal forum and ask for their assistance.

Please read this thread first once you have read this thread then place your problem in this forum

If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask us.

Thanks

Niles

Niles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Thanks for the reply. The only problem now is that I can't get the laptop to connect to the internet so I can't do all the scans which are recommended before posting. I will run the anti-virus/malware programmes on the computer and see where that gets me.

Would re-installing windows get rid of any nasties?

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Re-installing would get rid of the nasties but I would use that as a last resort.

Try running some of the applications first and see where this leads you to :)

Niles

Niles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Thanks - will do.