Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless adapters and Internet

• Please log in to reply

confusedinMich

confusedinMich

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
My system:
Dell XPS Studio 420
Windows Vista Home Premium
Intel Core2 Duo Processor E6850 3.GHz
3 GB Memory
500 GB 7200RPM Serial Hard Drive
SB XFi Sound Card
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GS
ATI 650 Pro Theater TV Tuner
Trend Micro Security Suite
Wireless adapter: Linksys WUSB 54G
All drivers are up to date
Problem: I have a Gateway router connected to a computer in the next room. I have AT&T DSL for provider. The adapter is on the XPS 420 and Linksys helped me install it with the Vista drivers etc. For the first month of owing this computer I was able to go to, for instance, CBS and watch full episodes of TV programs I had missed with no problems. Now when I go to this site or any other one I will get disconnected. I then will click on the little monitors on the bottom of my desktop and click on connect to a network and windows tells me there is no network. I then restart my computer and the network is there and I can then go online.

What I have done so far: Contacted Dell. They said it was my adapter. Contacted Linksys and they did their thing and said the adapter was fine. Contacted AT&T and they said the line is good and the signals are good. Contacted Dell again and he said it was Trend Micro's firewall and for me to disable it. I did and still the problem exists. Contacted Trend Micro and was told to uninstall and reinstall. I did. Problem still exists. I checked the other computer (it has Windows XP) and there are no problems with an internet connection and staying online for many hours at a time.

Does anyone know why and how I can correct this problem? :) Thank you for any/all help with this.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
ok, you are connected, what is your signal strength? Noise(if it shows this info)?

If you have weak signal, then I have a cheap solution. It may worth trying anyway.

http://revision3.com/systm/surfer/ video of how to do it or you can visit the main website: http://www.freeanten...ate2/index.html
It's as simple as a manila folder, scissors, spray glue, and some aluminum foil.