Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSoD - error code not in your list

• Please log in to reply

TotalTurtleFan

TotalTurtleFan

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

I have read through all of the XP Repair forum and everything in this forum. I still can't find an answer, if I am in the wrong place please let me know.

I turned on my Dell dimension 8400 this morning to a BSoD. No new hardware or software has been installed for over 2 months.

The software installed is Sony Vegas Pro, Office Small business 2003, and Xp media center 2005, Adobe acrobat, iTunes, AVG free 7.5, Spyware doctor, google talk, (I think that is it) , all updates are installed.

The hardware installed is what came with the system (extended warranty expired in Feb).

I do not want to do a fresh install because my daughter's graduation video is on there along with the graduation program (graduation is in two weeks - not enough time to redo all the work).

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
http://msdn.microsof...y/ms795640.aspx

Windows Driver Kit: Driver Development Tools
Bug Check 0x6B: PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

The PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED bug check has a value of 0x0000006B. This bug check indicates that the initialization of the Microsoft Windows operating system failed.
Parameters

The following parameters appear on the blue screen.
Parameter Description
1 The NT status code that caused the failure
2 Reserved
3 Reserved
4 Reserved

Cause

Any part of the disk subsystem can cause the PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED bug check, including bad disks, bad or incorrect cables, mixing different ATA-type devices on the same chain, or drives that are not available becuase of hardware regeneration.

This bug check can also be caused by a missing file from the boot partition or by a driver file that a user accidentally disabled in the Drivers tab.

By your description that nothing has been changed it sound like your hard drive is developing bad sectors. You can replace the hard drive in the computer with a new one then reinstall XP back to the new HD and register it. After doing so, you can hook up your old hard drive into the computer and go find the files you would like to transfer over to your new hard drive. You may have to do a "ownership" on the files and folders you need to copy. The old operating system should not start up, so you can treat the driver like a data drive( only holds data you have put there). You may need to make sure the drive is in select mode and on the center connector on the IDE data cable. If you are using SATA just plug it in. If it asks you if you want to include the system as bootable, just say NO.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 10 May 2008 - 01:38 PM.

TotalTurtleFan

TotalTurtleFan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for you reply!

I will give this information to my husband and he can take over. He is the one that dealt with this problem the last time while working with Dell for hours only to have to hit the F11 key (which took the system back to the way it was sent to us! :) ).

Have a good evening!

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have seen this same problem on 2 dell computers. Generally it is a hard drive going bad. On both computers doing the ctrl+ F11 did bring the computers back to the starting OS in the computer. One computer lasted only a week before he was getting more blue screens . I had already ordered him a recovery CD from dell, but by that time it did not help. Since Dell did not want to go any further with any repairs, i ended up buying a OEM windows XP CD for %65 off Ebay, then biught him a newer larger HD and installed XP back on the computer. He has not brought this computer back to me since that time about 10 weeks ago, so i must assume he is happy with the way things went.

A second computer i needed to do the ctrl+ F11 thing with was also brought back to me but only had some loose memory sticks to correct its problems of the blinking curser in the left corner of the monitor. I assumed the problems he was having was from moving from one state to another and not being very careful.

The only other time i had to do a F11 restore on a dell, was long ago, and that did not work until the hard drive was replaced.

SRX660