Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

internet issues

• Please log in to reply

shakiko

shakiko

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
my computer,to start off, is connected to a d-link DIR-615 wireless router (connected to the Ethernet port), then attached to my modem.

every once in a while the internet just stops working. The router shows the connected light, but it just flashes non stop, when the other computers connected by Ethernet flash then stay solid for a while, the again. When i unplug the Ethernet cable and put it back in it says acquiring network address then says limited or no connectivity.

I'm guessing it can't be the router because all the other connections (Ethernet and Wireless) work perfectly fine. The only way to reverse it and get it to work again is to either connect the computer directly to my modem or re-setting my router and re-installing it using the quick setup cd.

I'm getting really pissed off at this, its happened like 5 times. the router is brand new got it less then a month ago.

can anybody help?

thanks.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Hi shakiko. I may not be the router, but then again maybe it is? Since it's only a month old, it should still be under warranty. Why not take advantage of that and return it for a new one. If it doesn't make any difference, you haven't lost anything, but if it fixes it ...

You need to start eliminating possibilities:

Have you tried connecting the Ethernet cable to different port on the router?
Have you tried a different Ethernet cable?

Is your network built into the mother board or an addon PCI card?
If PCI, try a different network card.
If it's built in, add a PCI network card, see if it works better. If yes, leave it in. If not remove it.