Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Some help needed

• Please log in to reply

stalksuk

stalksuk

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hey guys!

I've always had a problem with heat, I live above a chipshop and even in the winter its hot. In the summer its a nightmare! My computer desk doesnt have great air flow either, so for the last year i have left the side case off and pulled the tower out from the desk. It seemed to help, when i played games my pc wouldnt freeze up and reboot.

What would happen is my screen would go black, get a message 'no signal' then my computer would restart. Sometimes the screen would go black, then flicker and return to what i was doing. The problem has seemed to of gotten worse since i cleaned the inside of my computer with compressed air, to remove all the dust.

Now its happening alot, even when im not playing games.

All i know about my computer is, its around 4years old

AMD 64 3200+
Radeon X800XT
1gb Of RAM
Windows Xp Home

Anyways this problem has brought me into looking for a new pc. Im looking at the:
"Ultima Extreme SLi 8800 GTX" Intel Core 2 Quadro QX9650 3.00GHz Quad Core SILENT DDR2 System
(from a computer website)

Now, im not a hardcore gamer anymore, so if anyone has a suggestion on what computer i should get, feel free to tell me =)

I do enjoy playing games quiet a bit, and i would like a computer that would run the top games decent.
Also some advice on what i can do when i get a new computer, as the heat where i live is terrible!

Just really looking for a bit of advice from people who know about computers =)

Thanks in advance!
(hope this is the right place to ask)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you live in a permanently warm environment you need seriously to look into the cooling situation before you start putting new things in that run hot by their design. Normally the solution is extra fans, however they may just circulate the hot air. Realistically you need to look at ways to cool the atmosphere down and then the heat problems in the computer will usually take care of themselves.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
One of my pet peeves is that case makers put the side fan near the CPU which usually has enough cooling by itself, and not near the video card which usually needs extra cooling because it doesn't have a fan. If your card doesn't have a fan you might consider adding one. And leaving the case off may not really help much, it might be a good idea to cut a hole in the back of the desk where the computer is to let more air flow.

stalksuk

stalksuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi, thanks for the replys. My gfx does have a fan. Could you suggest a pc case that would keep my pc cool? Im going to play around with my desk tomorrow, if i have to, then i will cut the back panel off.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

A number of cases are around that are good for keeping air moving through the case - they have either lots of fans, large ones, or both!

What I'm interested in is Neil's comment about circulating hot air. Judging from your first post and the description of the ambient temperatures in the computer's environment, I would strongly suggest you to consider a water-cooling setup. Unfortunately, this is quite an expensive exercise - do you have a specific budget for this project?

Cheers

Troy

stalksuk

stalksuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have around 1800-2300 to spend. I did put a house fan next to my computer, aiming at the gfx card and my computer didnt give me a black screen and reboot as much.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi again,

What's your current computer's cooling setup like? It may well be that a good system with enough fans will be enough, and watercooling is not needed.

Or you may wish to look into air-conditioning your room instead. :)

Cheers

Troy

stalksuk

stalksuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have 4 fans in total. I do keep going on and on to my dad to get a proper air-conditioning here. He keeps telling me next year :) Then again even if i dont pull my pc out from under the desk, even in the winter my pc does freeze and have to be rebooted. So i guess i really do have a heating problem :l

Kinda got my heart set on a new pc, for gaming. Lot of my mates tell me alienware, what do you guys recommend? =)

Edited by stalksuk, 13 May 2008 - 12:56 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi again,

Alienware can make some decent computers, although I've never had any experience with them.

You are intending on buying a unit instead of building it yourself?

Cheers

Troy

stalksuk

stalksuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I've just removed my radeon x800xt and put my old 9800pro in to see if the crashes still happen.

I'd rather buy one than build one, i have no experience in building computers(would like to do it tho!) I wouldnt know what parts to buy or anything, Im a tad thick ;D

edit: just been playing games and i havent froze or crashed once yet. I crashed earlier on my x800xt but havent on my 9800pro (yet) Maybe cause the weather is cooler, or maybe my x800 is broken :l Still intrested in getting a new pc tho =)

Edited by stalksuk, 13 May 2008 - 03:07 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

I just had a quick glance at the Alienware website - it does look a little pricey... I think you could do better for the money. I'm not really sure of some other options though, but I do remember someone mentioning once that NCIX allows you to order a whole bunch of components, and then for $50 more they'll build it for you.

Do you have NCIX in the UK? What are some websites you can buy off?

Cheers

Troy

stalksuk

stalksuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Nothing like NCIX for the UK. Looking at overclockers.co.uk. They have some nice systems. The one i was looking at was around £1800. I've no idea what to look for. :) Im like 'The price is big, that must be good!' :)

Few people say dell.co.uk is good. Most of these sites have computers ready made, then you can customize them.

My current computer seems fine now i have removed my x800 and put in my old 9800pro. Then again the weather is a bit cooler today.

Edited by stalksuk, 13 May 2008 - 07:10 AM.

jst42day

jst42day

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Whether you repair your current problem, build new or buy new, you should think about what happens when you remove the side of a pc and blow air into it.
Dust.
Heat is probably your problem. But having a lot of dust in there can cause problems too.
Also, the cases are designed to move pressurised air. Removing the side negates that effect.
Whatever you decide to do, either go with a good liquid cooling system or make sure that your case has a bunch of fans with filters and a fan on top of the case to exhaust the heat.
Vacuum your case interior with the power off and either wear a anti static wrist strap that is grounded to the case metal frame or somehow ground yourself and don't cause any static electricity sparks in the case.
Good luck.
jst42day

stalksuk

stalksuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I did unplug my computer and clean all the dust off a few days ago. Still no problems using the 9800pro gfx card.

I did find a pc builder website: http://www.pcspecial...p;select=intel2 But i dont have a clue whats good parts and what isnt for gaming :) Any ideas what to choose?