Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FROM OLD TO NEW

• Please log in to reply

MHINOJOS

MHINOJOS

• Pip
  • 1 posts
<_<

I need information or how-to on how to transfer some of our important data from our old computer to a new one. Our old computer has windows 2000 and tranferring to a computer that has windows xp. How do I do this, and is it difficult?

Thanks

Advertisements

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
Hello MHINOJOS and welcome to GtG <_<

you could use a cross over cable that you will find at your local computer/electronics store.

Or if the computers are on the same network, you could transfer files over the network

ditto

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
If you're comfortable opening the case, I think the best way is to install the old hard drive as a "slave" drive in the new system. This requires you to change the jumper on the hard drive. It allows you to "drag and drop" files to your new system's drive.