Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Frustrating problem with chkdsk....

• Please log in to reply

angelofroom302

angelofroom302

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This problem is making me so very frustrated. First of all, I've had this computer for about 4 years. It's a Windows XP Service Pack 2, all downloaded with the latest updates. Usually there is something always wrong with my computer, but lately I've been getting a TON of error messages. Here are some of the examples;
waol.exe - corrupt file
The file or directory C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\desktop.ini is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the chkdsk utility.
^^That same message comes up for about 8 other programs, mostly AOL, but that is an issue that i'm not worried about. Some of them come up for spywarebegone, regcure, trillian and even my avg.

Okay, here is the real problem. I cannot run disk check. It always asks for me to allow diskcheck to start on restart, which I restart the computer and I get this error all the time;
''The type of File is NTFS
Cannot Open Volume for Direct Access'
Windows has finished checking disk"

This is very frustrating. I googled and all the answers that I can find are mostly, "install service pack 2" which I already have, or to uninstall spyware doctor which I do not have. I would also like to add that I do not have my XP cd either.
Please, does anyone have any possible solutions? I really really need to run the diskcheck so that I can stop getting all of these nosence errors.

Edited by angelofroom302, 10 May 2008 - 05:38 PM.

Advertisements

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
angelofroom302,

Run these cleaners-

http://www.atribune....c...5&Itemid=25

http://www.glaryutilities.com/

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Just the disk cleaners to see if that fixes it.
Run the registry cleaners at your own risk.
Most of the time it helps to clean the registry.
Sometimes it causes problems, but not often.

They are all free, and they work well.

angelofroom302

angelofroom302

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you cmpm!
The ATF Cleaner clened up a bit of stuff, and I have 4 extra GB's now, so that's good.
The other ones are downloading. If there are still problems after they are installed I'll post back here, but thank you very much for those links.