Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

what price should I ask?

• Please log in to reply

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
First, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this... if not feel free to move it. :)

I need some help... I've run into a situation and I need money quick. So I want to sell my laptop, and I want to know how much the G2G community thinks I could get for it before I list it. Here are the specs (and everything works beautifully):

Chassis: Dell Inspiron 1520
OSes: Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, Windows XP Professional, Macintosh OSX Leopard, Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron
HDD: 250 GB 5400 rpm Western Digital
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 (2.0 GHz)
RAM: 3GB PC2-5300 (667MHz)
Media Bay: 8x CD/DVD+/-RW drive
Graphics: 512MB nVidia 8600M GT
Display: 1280 x 800 LCD w/TrueLife (only bad thing)
Internet: Integrated Dell 1390 WiFi and Broadcom 10/100 integrated NIC
Sound: Integrated Sigmatel 9205 HD Audio
Ports: 4x USB, 4-pin FireWire, S-Video and VGA out, ExpressCard
Integrated Bluetooth, infrared, webcam, and microphone.

I think the biggest seller here is the fact that it has upgraded RAM and HDD, and FOUR operating systems! So what price tag do you think I could put on this?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
How old is it, what use has it had and what conidtion is it in?
Bear in mind you won't get anywhere near what you paid for it, rough guesstimate of around 60-70% of what you originally paid depending on condition.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Just a quick thought - depending on who you sell it to and their needs, four operating systems may very well be three too many!

As for a price, in addition to Neil's comment, I would like to point out that you would need to research the market in your local area. There's no point in advertising your computer for a certain price, to find they are selling for half that in the local trading post...

Cheers

Troy

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 1,067 posts
The laptop is just under four months old, and being the geek that I am, it has been used pretty heavily. But that doesn't mean it isn't in great condition!

Troy: I spent a lot of time getting this computer to work with all four. That said, I am very aware of the "three too many" comment and plan to customize the computer however the buyer wants.

I was lucky enough to spend only $900 USD on this laptop, but that is because I work for them. When I got it out of the box, it worked for a few days, but then the mobo went bad. I got the entire system exchanged, and when Dell does a system exchange it comes with similar or better parts. Luckily, this one came with better parts, and I ended up with a $1600 USD computer, considering upgraded parts and software. So 60% of what I paid is paltry considering what any normal person would have paid for the same laptop. :)

Edited by The Admiral, 11 May 2008 - 10:17 AM.