Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Micro atx bulid speXCs

• Please log in to reply

utellme

utellme

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Im new to the game of building computers and i was looking for help.this is what i found on the internet.
i wont have to buy a new case if i stay micro atx so i am trying to.im open for all info.i hope to use it for minor gameing.
If you thank i should buy a video card i would like to know a couple of one to pick from.

MOTHERBOARD:78.99
GIGABYTE-GA-MA78GM-S2H
AM2+/AM2
Phenom FX / Phenom / Athlon 64 FX / Athlon 64 X2
Number of Memory Slots-4×240pin
Maximum Memory Supported-16gb
Onboard Video Chipset-ATI Radeon HD 3200
Onboard LAN-LAN Chipset-Realtek 8111C-Max LAN Speed-10/100/1000Mbps

PROCESSOR:54.99
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Brisbane 2.3GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor - OEM

RAM:?
open for info

HD:?
open for info

COOLING:?
open for info

Edited by utellme, 12 May 2008 - 01:42 AM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Welcome to Geeks to Go!

First up, can you define "minor gaming"? Some specific game titles would help us to know what requirements are needed.

Secondly, what budget are you looking at spending?

Thirdly, what about the other components of a build that you haven't listed? Do you have everything else, or you haven't included them yet?

Cheers

Troy

utellme

utellme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
i dont really have a budget. im looking to play CSS and DOD and i im looking for the other parts

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Just thought I'd poke my head in here and state that the 780G chipset has a very capable onboard GPU that can actually be overclocked nearly 100% on the GIGABYTE-GA-MA78GM-S2H. I built a computer with the GIGABYTE-GA-MA78GM-S2H and a 5000+ black edition CPU and they are very happy with it. If you want me to test out a game on it, I might be able to find some time within the next few days. My Steam accound has DoD:source, so I could let you know how that game runs on my parents computer in a few days if you like. What resolution do you game at?
James

utellme

utellme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
my computer sucks i cant play any games about the only thing i can do is go online and not well.I dont even have a 1 ghz cpu.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

What resolution do you game at?

Your answer below does not help James.

my computer sucks i cant play any games about the only thing i can do is go online and not well.I dont even have a 1 ghz cpu.

What resolution is dependent on your monitor. To help us out here, are you intending to keep your current monitor? If so, what make/model is it?

Or if you are intending to purchase a new monitor as part of this computer, what make/model are you looking at?

With this information, we'll be able to find the monitor's native resolution, which is the information James is after to help you.

Cheers

Troy

utellme

utellme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
ooh i have an old compaq mv540.its been time for an upgrade.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi again,

A quick search reveals that the Compaq MV540 is a 15-inch CRT monitor running at 1,024 x 768 resolution. Are you saying that you intend to upgrade this also?

Any ideas of what monitor you intend to use? Or are you open to suggestion? Would you like a wide-screen?

Cheers

Troy

utellme

utellme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
ya im open to suggestion.it doesn't have to be anything fancy 17in lcd will do.

Edited by utellme, 18 May 2008 - 06:02 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi again,

I would suggest this Acer 19" widescreen. The cheapest LCD monitor that Newegg sells is around the $150 mark, but for not too much more, this looks like a great deal.

I have some other suggestions you may like to consider.

Here is your motherboard:
http://www.newegg.co...k=GA-MA78GM-S2H

Here is the Black Edition CPU James mentioned:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103194

Some compatible RAM (memory) - 2x 1GB, DDR2, 800MHz:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820227089

I don't know how much hard drive space you need, but here's a decent 320GB:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822148316

And cooling, what kind of cooling are you looking for? Case cooling? CPU cooling? Chipset cooling?

Cheers

Troy

Advertisements

utellme

utellme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
case and cpu

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

The CPU will come with a heatsink/fan in the retail box.

You already have a mATX case, correct? It should have space available for some case fans - it may already even have fans installed. Can you have a look and let us know what size they are, and how many available spaces you have?

Cheers

Troy

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

The CPU will come with a heatsink/fan in the retail box.

I just wanted to comment on this, the Black Edition, if I can remember correctly, only comes with the processor and no heatsink or CPU fan included.
You will need to buy a heatsink for your processor if you're gonna go with this one. If you're not overclocking, you can get this one that includes the heatsink for $2 more.

Kamille

Edited by kamille316, 20 May 2008 - 11:42 AM.

utellme

utellme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
MY ultra micro fly micro atx case has 2 fans one is 80mm the other is 120mm and i am not sure it has other fan slots.It didn't not come whit power supply so i was wondering what power supply wattage i should get.On the new motherboard there is a 4-pin cpu power connector whats this for and if i wanted to use my dvd drive can it be ide or does it have to be sata.

Edited by utellme, 21 May 2008 - 01:39 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

On the new motherboard there is a 4-pin cpu power connector whats this for

This is to power the CPU! :)

And you can have an IDE DVD drive in that computer if you like, but a SATA one will be a lot better because it uses much smaller cables, which is crucial for good in-case airflow in a mATX case.

Cheers

Troy