Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

600-700 USD to spend on a pc

• Please log in to reply

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Ok, but i have xp now, so should i format my hard drive and then get the oem version????

Edited by hoopsman, 15 June 2008 - 12:32 PM.

Advertisements

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
i would really appreciate a response...................

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
That would probably be the best course of action, yes.

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
thanks a lot. i think that i want CoD 4, so i might go with the XFX 8800GTS, do you think it will be that big of difference or no?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
That big of a difference compared to... the 9600GT? The 8800GTS 512MB will outperform the 9600GT in all aspects. If you have the room for it in your budget, it is definately a worthwhile purchase.

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Thanks a lot for helping me out and everything :) I will order my parts Wednesday or something and let you know how my build went!
thanks again
Hoopsman
btw, in the comparison i made it was between the EVGA and XFX versions of the 8800GTS 512(not between the 8800GTS and 9600GT, sorry). Because the XFX version came with call of duty 4, but the EVGA was overclocked a little bit. I really want Call of duty 4, but EVGA has better service and a little faster card. Would the overclocked evga card be noticeably faster than the non-overclocked one, i mean, its only like 20mhz more, its just the XFX version comes with more cool stuff. and does it matter that im running my games on a 19" widescreen lcd?(it has a 2000:1 contrast ratio and a 5 ms response time) sorry for all the questions.

Edited by hoopsman, 15 June 2008 - 11:15 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

It'll be fine - get the one with the game, you'll hardly notice the difference.

No it won't matter what monitor you play on, but you'll need to make sure that you set the system up to run at the proper resolution for best results.

Cheers

Troy

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Great. I am going to finally order the parts today! YAY!
Thanks for all the help everyone, ill let you know how my computer runs after i put it together.

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
My parts are probably going to come friday, and i have one little problem. i need to format my drive for windows vista right? well when i right click on my C drive(the drive that has the operating system on it) it tells me that it cant format it. if you want a screenshot, let me know, but what can i do to format it?
btw, is the setup in vista similar to xp in the aspect that it asks if you would like to format the drive?
thanks.
hoopsman

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Don't worry, Vista will format your hard drive during its installation. XP can't format the drive it is on, so that's why your efforts there were unsuccessful.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

You can format it from within the Vista installation setup. Once your computer is built, you will boot off the Vista DVD, select the hard drive you wish to install Vista upon, and format it from there.

Cheers

Troy

EDIT: We posted around the same time!

Edited by troy, 18 June 2008 - 10:16 PM.

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
ok, great. this will happen with the oem version, right, it doesnt have to be the upgrade version? in other words, the version of vista home premium 64-bit is a "System builders' edition, but it will still ask to format my hard drive, right?
sorry for being repitive. i just want to be super sure:)

Edited by hoopsman, 19 June 2008 - 12:47 AM.

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
i got my parts! yay! but my problem is a weird one, a very weird one. i put my computer together, and the i turn it on, ask it to boot of of the cd/drive so i can install windows vista home premium 64-bit, and then windows says it is loading its files. then i get to the green bar loading screen, and then what happens has me stumped. it goes to a colorful screen and then the whole computer just shuts off. thats it. no beeps, no error messages, or anything. i made sure all the connections were fine, i changed the power cord to the power supply, and i even tried a different hard drive, and the same thing still happens.
I am in dire need of help, Can someone tell me how to fix this or what the problem is??????
Please. if anyone can help i would GREATLY appreciate it. might have to call someone out, and that is REAL expensive.

Edited by hoopsman, 26 June 2008 - 06:46 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Have you tried giving the RAM the recommended 2.2V in the BIOS (assuming you got the Patriot kit you said you were getting)?

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
ya i tried that. i went to the bios and increased the voltage by .4v. i still got the same problem

Edited by hoopsman, 26 June 2008 - 07:45 PM.