Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

600-700 USD to spend on a pc

• Please log in to reply

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Your memory may be faulty. Try using Memtest.

Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible.

Advertisements

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
i havent tried it yet, but it seems like my computer wont even be able to be on that long to do the whole test, because it just shuts down randomly. I tried installing windows xp but it shut down in the middle of the installation, and i tried using windows memory diagnostic and it did the same thing.
I have a really good feeling that the same thing is going to happen with the memtest, and i dont think my memory is the problem, because when the system booted up, there was only one beep, which means that the memory is fine, because if the memory was bad it would be a 1 long beep and then 1 short beep. i plan to call gigabyte tommrow morning, because i have a really good feeling its the motherboard. i dont think i am going to be able to run the memtest. is there any other advice someone could give me onto solving this horrible problem?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
There's a difference between having dead memory and faulty memory. Try Memtest, it couldn't hurt.

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
look, i appreciate your help. but you have to understand that my computer wont stay on long enough for the test to do anything. also, on my motherboard it has "cpu loading lights" im not sure what these are, but all four are lit so i am guessing that is not a good thing. also, on a support forum(http://www.houseofhe...ead.php?t=70568) i found something pretty interesting. even though the psu the guy was talking about in the last post wasnt mine, he said that his friend had to get a different power supply because corsair psu's dont work well with p35 chipsets. maybe i might need to return the corsair psu and get a different one. I am on hold at gigabyte right now to see if there is a compatiblilty issue or not...... Just in case it is the power supply could someone list a good 650w psu that isnt by corsair?
thanks

Edited by hoopsman, 27 June 2008 - 11:58 AM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I've never heard of Corsair PSUs not working with the P35 chipset from a reliable source. It sounds like a case where the person may have gotten one faulty PSU or motherboard, and declared the whole line to be faulty... :)

You may want to check and make sure your RAM is running at 800mhz or below. If the FSB:RAM ratio (RAM divider) is defaulted to something that makes the RAM run at faster speeds, this could be the source of your problem.

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
well i called gigabyte, and they said that i should take all the components out of my pc except the mobo, psu, and cpu fan, and then one by one put my other components back in and then see which one is causing the problem. i didnt have time to connect more than my hard drive and dvd drive, but i found out that it wasnt the psu or the mobo. I am still in the process of putting the other parts in so i will let you know. i may just have faulty memory, bad processor, or a bad gpu. ill keep you guys posted

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
he he. well it turns out the reason i was having all the problems i was having was because my graphics card wasnt pushed in enough. when i was putting it in i didnt want to force it, as you know the techie i am. So, i got everyrthing up and running, and im just installing updates right now and windows vista really looks awesome. Aero is to vista as workspaces are to Linux. Thanks for all the help, and i need to update my signature.......

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
You still need to update your signature, by the way...

Your motherboard is not a ...EP25... version, it is the ...EP35... version!

So all is running sweet, eh? Good work!

Troy