Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

screwed up my registry, can't get into yahoo mail

• Please log in to reply

CompooterDummy

CompooterDummy

Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I downloaded a tool, Max Registry Cleaner. Did a scan and deleted files it said should go. Now I can log onto yahoo mail but when I open my inbox mail all that's there is the transmission information. I know something used to be there because there's mail there I opened before. Also, my "move to" button for moving mail to folders is gone. First I restored a backup and yahoo mail worked fine. Then I just deleted the elements that Max Registry said were most likely to be very harmful. Yahoo mail screwed up again. I tried to restore the backup registry again but it's not working this time. Help anyone? Oh, it also affected my peoplepc mail in the same way.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Restore the computer to a date before the harmful cleanup was made. Click Start > all Programs > Accessories > System tools > System Resore. Choose "Restore my Computer to an Earlier time". Choose a date from the table and let the process run.

CompooterDummy

CompooterDummy

Troll

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
no option for system restore under system tools. I'm using windows 2000.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello there CompooterDummy,

I would like to inform you that using registry cleaners or any sort of programs that touch the registry automatically can harm your computer in such a way that you can't even get into your computer anymore. After noticing that the backup fixed the problem I wouldn't have actually run the "registry cleaner" again. I would highly recommend not using any sort of registry cleaning program.

Then onto the rest. Have you tried rebooting then restoring the backup?
One other thing you can try is going to safe mode and restoring the backup.
Apart from that I'm not that experienced with Windows2000 but I am pretty sure that Tech Staff "The Skeptic" is able to help.

Regards,
Olrik

CompooterDummy

CompooterDummy

Troll

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I guess the problem I'm having, intellectually and emotionally, with all this "registry no-no" stuff is that, over time, usually about a month or two, surfing, other programs, things I download, etc. affect my registry. Then I get registry errors. I have anti-virus and spyware installed but no program catches everything. Even backing up to an old registry doesn't guarantee that all the problems are gone or won't eventually come back again. Who wants to have to wipe their hard drive once every couple of months? Is this really the price I have to pay for surfing the internet and downloading? If so, why have a computer in the first place if you can't surf the net and take advantage of what it has to offer? I guess I figured getting a well-known, well-regarded registry clean up tool would fix my problems. But, alas, I was wrong. Oh, well. Skeptic, are you there?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

I guess I figured getting a well-known, well-regarded registry clean up tool would fix my problems

Funny enough a lot of registry "cleaning" programs advertise to be well know and well regarded.
I myself would not recommend it and never use it as I've heard stories of people locking themself out of their computer.

Is this really the price I have to pay for surfing the internet and downloading?

No it isn't. Having a good protection is a good thing to start off with. This includes:
  • An Anti-Virus Program
  • An Anti-Malware Program
  • A Firewall
  • An Updated Windows
If you think you're infected with malware I suggest you go to the malware forum and get yourself checked up.
They can also tell you what the best way is to prevent this sort of malware.

Regards,
Olrik

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Your best option is to perform windows 2000 repair, for which you need the installation CD. Have a look at "Best Answer" in this link in Yahoo.

some notes:

1: The repair may or may not help or succeed. Sometimes you end up with more problems then you started with. for this reason I use it as a last resort, which in my opinion is your case.

2: Regarding registry fixers: I agree with Artellos with two exeptions: CCleaner, which never failed me. But then, it's not a "fixer" but a cleaner. The other one is PageDefrag by Sisinternals. It's an excellent utility but then, again, it's a registry and page-file degragmenter, not a fixer.

3: Regarding surfing in the internet: again, Artellos advice is a good one. You should protect your computer, as advised. But even that will not fully protect your computer. There are many sites and programs that are known to be chancy. These include, for example, peer-to peer networks like Limewire, Kazaa etc. Also, opening mails from unknown sources will surely end in trouble. Just a few days ago I got my computer infected nastily in this forum when helping someone who had problems and provided a link to a games site which I never knew or suspected to be a malware source. It took me hours to clean my computer.

The computer is yours and obviously it's your decision how to use it. We are here only to help and advise, not to tell people what to do. but then, regarding the point you brought up: yes, there is a price to be payed but the cost can be lowered dramatically. It's up to the user.