Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet not working

• Please log in to reply

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I have internet via satellite, and it dodges up sometime and just stops working, even though the modem/router thing says everything is going how it should.

Now, this wouldn't be all that strange except for one complication. I use a program called Zmud to play a MUD game (It's text) and I generally connect to this game using the games IP address, rather than the sites name. My internet will work when I use an Ip address, but not the sites name.

Does anyone have some sort of explanation for this?

Oh, and some more info. When my internet 'dies' like this, restarted doesn't help, powering off/on the modem doesn't help. I've tried Firefox, IE and Opera, none work, and I even tried my mothers laptop (Running Vista, I run XP) and it isn't working.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

My internet will work when I use an Ip address, but not the sites name.

This sounds like a DNS problem.
DNS stands for Domain Name System hooking site names (domains) to IP addresses.
Try the following once this problem acts up and tell me how it went.

(Note: All commands below are without quotation)
Hit start -> run.
In the white box type "cmd"
A black box will appear. Type "ipconfig /flushdns"
Then after that is done type: "ipconfig /release" you'll loose your internet connection.
then type: "ipconfig /renew" this should renew your connection with your gateway.
then right click the black box and hit "Mark", select all the information available to you then hit "CTRL + C"
Paste the information into your next reply.

NOTE: In the event you should loose your connection to the internet (and "ipconfig /renew" doesn't work). Reboot your modem, router and PC.

Regards,
Olrik