Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USBs not connecting

• Please log in to reply

samboo1

samboo1

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Recently ive been all over the internet on posts trying to find a solution to why my computer wouldnt detect my iPod in the USB port. I didnt come here as I thought it was a iPod related problem. However just today I tried putting in mine and my friend's USB and the same message comes up, that the computer doesnt recognize the product in the USB port.
It's very annoying and I need to use them. It seems everything else that is plugged into a USB is still working (Printer, Bluetooth,etc).

Is there any solution to this?

Thanks in advance.#
EDIT: Just realised that it isnt actually every USB that doesnt connect, as my digital camera did yesterday.

Edited by samboo1, 11 May 2008 - 10:54 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
I've seen a lot of these problems, the general fix seems to be re-initialise the iPod which will of course wipe it. I tend not to have much to do with them as they're more trouble than they're worth IMO because they don't behave like every other external USB device (which is all it basically is) does under Windows. Only iTunes will talk to it, nothing else wants to know.

If other devices work in the same ports, and iTunes acn't see it, then the problem is most probably with the iPod itself.

samboo1

samboo1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

I've seen a lot of these problems, the general fix seems to be re-initialise the iPod which will of course wipe it. I tend not to have much to do with them as they're more trouble than they're worth IMO because they don't behave like every other external USB device (which is all it basically is) does under Windows. Only iTunes will talk to it, nothing else wants to know.

If other devices work in the same ports, and iTunes acn't see it, then the problem is most probably with the iPod itself.

Thanks ill try and find out how to wipe it, as I havent a clue.
I dont think it's my iPod because im having the same problem with pen drives.

FadeToBright

FadeToBright

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

samboo1,

Have you tried looking in Device Manager (My Computer, (right click), Properties, Hardware, Device Manager) Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers, are there any red/yellow exclamation points?

samboo1

samboo1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

samboo1,

Have you tried looking in Device Manager (My Computer, (right click), Properties, Hardware, Device Manager) Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers, are there any red/yellow exclamation points?

Nope, there is none. I recently went onto apple's website and followed some help that fit my problem well. I uninstalled the iPod and apparently my computer should have automatically installed it again, yet it didnt. I know that when I look on the properties of the devices as they come as 'unknown device' on my computer, it says there is no drivers installed for them. I was never given drivers to install with my iPod or the pen drives that I tried either, so I cant just reinstall them.

FadeToBright

FadeToBright

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Do you have iTunes installed samboo1?

samboo1

samboo1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Yeah I do.

FadeToBright

FadeToBright

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Yeah I do.

Have you tried reseting your iPod?

1. Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
2. Press and hold the Menu and Center (Select) buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 8 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.

Also how many USB devices do you have plugged in??

Edited by FadeToBright, 13 May 2008 - 01:23 PM.

samboo1

samboo1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Yeah I do.

Have you tried reseting your iPod?

1. Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
2. Press and hold the Menu and Center (Select) buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 8 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.

Also how many USB devices do you have plugged in??

Yeah I have reset it.
And I have 3 at the moment.

Ive just been reading something around the internet, and it seems a lot of people have had my problem and in their case it always seems to be that 'oh your operating system is corrupt', so they have re installed XP or whatever they had and then it's been fine. So bit of a noob question now, but I dont know! Does reinstalling XP make me loose all my music,pictures etc, that are on my computer? That may be a stupid question but Im not sure!

FadeToBright

FadeToBright

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Yes a reinstall will do that. You can try uninstalling all your USB ports then having Windows find them again.

Go to Device manager, right click on the Universal Serial Bus controller, uninstall the USB Host controllers. Then go to Action > Scan for hardware changes.

samboo1

samboo1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Well I did that and there was nothing new, ive just restarted my computer now, and at start up it did say searching for drivers but it was for my bluetooth device for some reason, and nothing else.

FadeToBright

FadeToBright

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Have you tried unplugging all USB devices and trying the iPod? also in a different USB port?

samboo1

samboo1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Have you tried unplugging all USB devices and trying the iPod? also in a different USB port?

I have tried the iPod in a different port at the back but I havent unplugged any of the currently plugged in devices and tried in there. Im a little scared that the computer wont detect those when if I unplug them now :)