Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about a mobo's FSB multiplier.

• Please log in to reply

liljone

liljone

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,

I'm really into computer hardware just like everyone else here im pretty shore. :) Ok Question is: Lets say you have a mobo rated at 800mhz FSB (Yea I know allot faster out there but trying keep this simple). Anyways even thou the mobo rated at 800mhz, the REAL FSB is 200mhz 4x (4x=multiplier). If the mobo is really has a 200mhz FSB then why is it rated at 800mhz? Dose multiplier mean there four times the data wires moving data (which would move four times the data but the data still moving from point A to point B at 200mhz or is the multiplier a like a amp for a FSB speeding it up by 4x? Im confused when it comes to this, I was hoping if one you guys that know your stuff can clear this up for me. Thanks for all the help and taking time to read this. :)

Edited by liljone, 11 May 2008 - 03:52 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Sometimes it rated as the number of bytes per second, as a 32 bit wide bus is 4 bytes you have a 4x multiplier. It can get very confusing.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
The FSB is dependent on the CPU, not the mobo. The mobo simply lists which FSBs it is compatible with. Intel has managed to pump out 4 instructions per clock cycle, called Quad Data Rate, giving the effective FSB a speed four times greater than the underlying FSB. The main reason it is advertised as 800mhz rather than 200mhz, is because doesn't 800mhz sound a lot better? :)