Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unable to update Windows xp

• Please log in to reply

Umbra1

Umbra1

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have an Issue with Windows XP sp2…… and Using IE Ver. 6

For some reason this box will not Update windows and acts as if the security settings are

set to block the Active X control downloads But I have set them to accept Active X.

Now I had to deal with a Trojan Vundo issue http://www.geekstogo...ll-t197537.html

and had removed or turned off the firewalls in order remove the Trojan. but even after getting this Trojan taken

care of, I still can not update windows or access other download Active X controls.

If you are able to provide any assistance it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You In advance for you time and patients.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Quote from your previous post "But I have set them to accept Active X". How did you do that?

To reapir windows update: Download Dial-a-Fix from the link in my list of programs below, unzip the folder and click on dial-a-fix.exe. Check Fix Window Updates and click Go.

Umbra1

Umbra1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hello
I ran dial a fix but still the same issue remains. the yellow shield info bar come down and the only option is to open information bar help menu.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
can you check in add/remove programs and look for this update KB912812 if its there remove it .....then try to install active x

Umbra1

Umbra1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thank you Mr. Freeze for the information I think you have started me on to the right track.
I was looking at this problem and I think it has several parts gone wrong.
I located the patch for the update and downloaded it. But when I tried to use it I came up with a error “setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic service is running on this computer.”
I checked and the cryptographic service is running but from what I am seeing it has an error popping up.
Now I did an Mgadiag run and Cryptographic service has an error, it is unable to repair the Cryptographic service and gives a. “win32: The account specified for this service is different from the account specified for other services running in the same process”

I looked at the windowsupdate file and saw error 0x80092026 so I went and looked it up and found the following
resolution
1. Open regedt32 and browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\TrustedPublisher
2. Under TrustedPublisher look for Safer key and delete it.

So after this still no love.

Umbra1

Umbra1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
There needs to be a correction After going over and removing the safer key agian after it returned....Complete joy it all works fine now!!!!!!!!!!