Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Possible HDD failure

• Please log in to reply

Epic Fail

Epic Fail

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Before I completely accept my Hard Drive is failing me, I've come here for a second opinion.. I've got this really annoying sound coming from my case, it sounds like a fan sometimes, and sometimes it sounds like a lawnmower that won't start no matter how hard you try. I ran some diagnostic and got these results, if they'll help you to help me at all, and I also had zero bad sectors, if that means a [bleep] thing, I really suck with computers...so I don't know what that means..

"Almost every EIDE or SATA hard disk includes S.M.A.R.T. data. That information is collected by the drive itself and contains data that the manufacturer considered relevant to check reliability. The data is made up of several attributes that have a current value, a worst one, a threshold, some raw data, and some flags. Basically, when any attribute's current value is below its threshold, the hard disk is considered unreliable and likely to fail. By using several techniques, this report tries to give a wider range of info, basing its analysis on advanced comparisons with normal values based on real hard disks and on expert-like checks. The final results are not to be taken as an absolute truth, but they are a very good approach to what a professional would say about your hard disk status.
Your hard disk is a ST340015A with firmware 3.15.
Your hard disk is not in the current database.
Your hard disk's temperature is 26C.
New hard disks are added as soon as valid statistics can be computed.
Come back soon to check your hard disk against a new database.
Your hard disk's S.M.A.R.T. attributes are now being analyzed and a full report about the reliability, health and status of your hard disk is generated:
Your hard disk is not below any attribute threshold. This is good.
Your hard disk was never below any attribute threshold. This is good.
Since your hard disk is not in the current database, overall ratings and pictures will be based upon realistic values, but you should carefully check the results.

Attribute Current Raw Overall
6 Raw Read Error Rate 74 204428453 Good
10 Spin Up Time 98 0 Very good
10 Start/Stop Count 100 309 Very good
10 Reallocated Sector Count 100 0 Very good
8 Seek Error Rate 86 407630155 Very good
7 Power On Hours Count 72 24681 Good
10 Spin Retry Count 100 0 Very good
10 Power Cycle Count 99 1668 Very good
10 Hardware ECC Recovered 100 0 Very good
10 Current Pending Sector 100 0 Very good
10 Offline Uncorrectable Sector Count 100 0 Very good
8 Ultra DMA CRC Error Rate 200 0 Very good
10 Write Error Rate 100 0 Very good
10 TA Increase Count 100 0 Very good

NOTE: not all warnings are reflected on fitness and performance overall values as relevancy is based upon the settings from the hard disk manufacturer who is the best entity deputed to define such relationships.

The overall fitness for this drive is 97%.
The overall performance for this drive is 97%.
The link to get back and see a new report about this hard disk in the future is this. Consider that new hard disks and new checks are added over time. "

I hope those show up where it's possible to read them, if not, I'm sorry. I should probably point out that this started sometime after I'd put a CD in my CD Drive and listened to music, I have restarted several times, I've left my computer off over night hoping it'd go away, but it hasn't. I don't know if the CD drive is above the HDD or not, like I said, I know nothing about computers (fixing them anyway..)

I'm pretty sure that's all the info you'll need, but, it may not be, if I recall anything or you need more info, I'll give it to you.

Thanks in advance.

Right now it sounds like a blender. Sometimes it stops for about thirty seconds, then it starts back up...

Edited by Epic Fail, 11 May 2008 - 09:38 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Welcome to Geeks To Go, Epic Fail.

Before you assume your hard drive is going bad you need to isolate the sound you are hearing. Can you watch what is goint on inside your computer while it is running? This is as simple as taking the side cover off and looking at what is there, Hard Drives seldom make roaring sounds. What makes roaring sounds is fans. Generally there are 2 fans in computer systems (And sometimes more). Can you watch the fans for a period of time to see if they are speeding up when the roaring starts?Usually it is the CPU fan( the easily seen one facing you when you look in the case) andd theres a Power supply fan which usually faces the fack of the computer, You need to watch both to see if they speed up.

Something else you can do is download speedfan and see if it can read any tempatures from your computer motherboards monitoring systems If it can read your thermisters you may find you have a high temp in the CPU which would cause the RPM speedup of the CPU fan ( The buzzing you hear). This is usually caused by clogging from lint and dust, but could also be caused by the thermal compound drying out( not likely , but i have seen it happen). Replacing the compound usually fixed this.

I have also seen poor quality Power supplys that just had to run at top speed to keep up with the system thus causing thePS fan to roar all the time except when the computer was left alone so the power usage was low enough to cause the PS fan to slow down.

BOTTOM LINE HERE, Epic Fail, is that i don't think your hard drive is going bad. Usually they show they are failing by coming up with error about data, or that sectors could not be read, not buzzing fans.

SRX660

Epic Fail

Epic Fail

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I already have Speed Fan, I've used it to turn off every fan in the system and it still makes that sound.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
SpeedFan is not guaranteed to slow down all fans depending on the board. If the noise is coming from the PSU Speedfan will have no input on it.
You're far better off in all honesty taking the side off the case and using a pencil to temporarily stop one of the fans.

Epic Fail

Epic Fail

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The fans were completely stopped, I took the case off to check before I ever even posted this.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I would think it would be:

a failing fan....I've seen em sound good one minute and sound bad the next.

failing hardrive....put a straw up to it and listen

possible a loose hardrive or optical drive. Are all discs out of the optical drives?

a blown capacitor would whistle. Doesn't sound like this is the case though.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You'll have to isolate the sound - sounding like grinding noises could be a CD drive issue. Have you checked the fan in the PSU by very temporarily slowing it down where possible? Does the noise only occur under load (when you're doing something) or is it random?

Epic Fail

Epic Fail

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

You'll have to isolate the sound - sounding like grinding noises could be a CD drive issue. Have you checked the fan in the PSU by very temporarily slowing it down where possible? Does the noise only occur under load (when you're doing something) or is it random?

Totally random. I just started my computer up fifteen minutes ago, and until one minute ago, it hadn't started going off at all. All I was doing was reading a review, that of all things, should not cause stress..when I go to play CS, I could see that causing a little.. Once the noise starts, it doesn't stop until I turn off the computer, when I turn it on, sometimes it starts up with the computer, others it goes off at random..occasionally it'll fool me into thinking it stopped, but only for five-fifteen seconds, then it starts up again. It's highly annoying and drives me insane..

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts

Totally random. I just started my computer up fifteen minutes ago, and until one minute ago, it hadn't started going off at all. All I was doing was reading a review, that of all things, should not cause stress..when I go to play CS, I could see that causing a little.. Once the noise starts, it doesn't stop until I turn off the computer, when I turn it on, sometimes it starts up with the computer, others it goes off at random..occasionally it'll fool me into thinking it stopped, but only for five-fifteen seconds, then it starts up again. It's highly annoying and drives me insane..

like I posted earlier....I've seen fans do that. Cheap sleeve bearing fans in particular. The fan will still be spinning but the bearings are going. Once it starts I'd put a straw or doll rod right on that hardrive and listen so you can rule it out. Sometimes a fan with bad bearings will look like it's running backwards.

Epic Fail

Epic Fail

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Figure a little update would be nice. It's been four hours now and I'm probably just jinxing myself here, but the noise has stopped completely. I'm scared to restart my computer for fear it'll start up again shortly after, but for now, I'm not going insane while trying to do simple stuff at least. I'm sure it'll come back, it's just a matter of not knowing when, or what causes it in the first place >.< 'less whatever was doing it finally died..and now I've just to figure out what the [bleep] that was and if it was really important or not -.-;