Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can I use the same cd+r over and over

• Please log in to reply

chucky001

chucky001

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,
I am just learning about how to use my disc burning program which is Nero Express oem (without the nero burning rom )
I need to backup my documents folder with photo music and misc word documents

So my question is , If I have a checkmark in the multi-session square can I keep using the same cdr or dvdr disc over and over for years
Untill it has 700 mb ..or 4.7 gig of data on it in the case of dvd r :tazz:

Or do I have to use a new cd-r each time I need to add new files to my folders, new photos,or music cd's to media player playlist
( any new content of data since the last backup)

I need to backup those new files to a stay current with the updates in order to protect against a hardrive failure. But hate to waste cd-r's like that

Does INCD have anything to do with multisessioning if I am using cd-r instead of cd-rw 's , It comes on automatically when I click on nero express...
Thanks to all in advance

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
CD-R's can be written to once. CR-RW's can be written to many times, but must be 'erased' first.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You can keep on adding to CDR's providing that they are created as multisession (ie, you can close the session but not the disc). Once the CDR itself is closed, then it is write-protected & cannot be written to again.

I don't know about Nero as it has always trashed my system in the past whenever I've tried to install it or use it. But in general, you can dump your work to a blank CD, using the multisession option. Then dump another load of work to the same CD in the future.

However, be aware of the folowing :

most burning software has options that you set regarding how it should handle duplicate data when importing sessions.

eg if for example, in the first session, you backup the whole of My Documents and in the second session, you again backup the whole of my documents. You have 2 identical folder names but also they are likely to contain some of the same files in both backups. You need to tell the software to either :

Merge or replace duplicate directories and also whether to :
- overwrite original files with duplicate files
- overwrite the original files only if the duplicate files are newer or of a different size etc
- never overwrite original files

The actual options available to you will probably depend on the burning software.

chucky001

chucky001

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Great !
Thank You so much thats exactly what I wanted to know !
chucky001