Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

nv4_disp blue screen on startup

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I own a Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop. It is Pentium III witn an NVIDIA GeForce2 Go (Dell Mobile) Display Drive. I have searched various help sites to solve my problem but have not been able to find a solution. My OS is Windows XP.

I just installed a Linksys Wireless-M USB network adapter earlier today. Now, I am getting an nv4_disp error which prevents the completion of my system boot.

I understand that the solution to this problem is to update the display drive with the proper XP dirver.

Here is my problem.

NVIDIA states on their website that they do not directly support their laptop drivers. They do not even list the GeForce2 Go (Dell Mobile) on their website as far as I can determine. Furthermore, they state that laptop owners should go to the vendor (Dell specifically) to obtain the appropriate vendor specific updates.

I went to Dell's website and they only list updates for the Dell Inspiron 8000 up through Windows 2000. They do not list any updates for Windows XP for this laptop.

So, I don't know where and how to find the appropriate XP NVIDIA display driver update to eliminate the nv4_disp problem on my Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop.

Is there anyone who can help me with this?

I understand how to boot into safe mode but do not have the needed driver update to replace my current display driver, which it is my understanding will solve this problem.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Most Windows 2000 drivers do work on XP.
However you may be able to find generic XP drivers on NVidia's site. It won't say specifically its for Dell but it'll most likely work anyway.