Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade gfx card?

• Please log in to reply

sandman01086

sandman01086

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I have a fairly good system:

AMD Athlon X2 4200+ ~2.2GHz
2gb DDR400MHz RAM
BFG GeForce 8600GTS
ASUS A8V-VM SE Mobo
1TB (2X500GB) 16 MB buffer

Was wondering if it's a good idea to upgrade the graphics card in this system as I have noticed that on some newer games I can't play at high resolution and high settings as I can with older games such as Counter Strike and Dawn Of War.

If it seems like a good idea I reckon £150 would be my budget.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Your system is reasonable, but I would recommend more than just a graphics card upgrade.

You're using an old generation of RAM, for starters... I would look at upgrading the graphics card, motherboard, CPU, and RAM all in one hit (and possibly the PSU also).

The 8600GTS is not a very good gaming card, if you really wanted to get started on an upgrade, the 9600GT would be a good choice. What PSU are you currently running?

Cheers

Troy

sandman01086

sandman01086

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
forget the actual brand and model of my PSU, but it's a 500W

i'm not going to have a massive amount of money to totally upgrade my pc for about 2/3 months and then i'll be looking to build one that lasts, i do have a few ideas on what i'm thinking of getting:

Intel X48 chipset motherboard
Core 2 quad ~ 3GHz
8800GTX/Ultra/9 series?
3gb if i decide to run xp or 4gb for vista DDR3 1600MHz RAM
probably a Corsair TX 750W PSU
and keeping my old HDDs and Fatal1ty soundcard

thoughts or suggestions on this? i reckon when i'm done saving i'll have around £1500 to play with possibly more if i can hold on that long :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

I strongly recommend you keep saving, and we'll build you a components list when you have the money and you're ready to buy.

Just make do for now, it'll be worth it. :)

Cheers

Troy

sandman01086

sandman01086

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
ok thanks for your help buddy :)