Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

format of windows xp home

• Please log in to reply

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Hey all. What I'm looking to do here is probably very simple. I have a Windows XP Home computer and I'm looking to format everything on it. I can put everything that I need to keep on disks beforehand and I know the basics like this. I just need to know how to format EVERYTHING off of this computer and start clean. I want to then load a copy of Windows XP Professional on it.

Along with this I have a few problems/questions.

1. I have two laptops on a network along with this computer. The computer I'm going to be formatting is the one where the DSL connection was originally placed. How is the internet connection going to be effected on all three computers?

2. Am I going to have to somehow install anything like my DVD Drive and CD-Burner? I know that I'm going to have to re-install the external things like printers, iPods, etc., but what about the internal things like the DVD, CD-Burner, and Floppy Disk drives?

3. I don't have the original XP Home setup disc as the computer came pre-configured as a gift. Will this matter if I buy an XP Professional disk? (I'm not going to buy a XP Pro Upgrade disk because I want to make sure EVERYTHING gets deleted.)

4. If I want to make a partition for testing things out such as Linux, or games, what different steps am I going to have to take?

Thank you very much for your help.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
When installing windows xp pro, choose new installation, and select delete existing partition when given the opportunity--or wipe it out with a dos bootdisk and fdisk command

1. I have two laptops on a network along with this computer. The computer I'm going to be formatting is the one where the DSL connection was originally placed. How is the internet connection going to be effected on all three computers?

Are you presently using internet connection sharing? ICS will not be available while rebooting--other than that, nothing. You may need to reload the software that came with your connection if they have a propritary way of accessing your dsl modem, but most use a browser.

2. Am I going to have to somehow install anything like my DVD Drive and CD-Burner? I know that I'm going to have to re-install the external things like printers, iPods, etc., but what about the internal things like the DVD, CD-Burner, and Floppy Disk drives?

drivers are included in windows, but burning software will be needed unless you use XP built in stuff

3. I don't have the original XP Home setup disc as the computer came pre-configured as a gift. Will this matter if I buy an XP Professional disk? (I'm not going to buy a XP Pro Upgrade disk because I want to make sure EVERYTHING gets deleted.)

No, it won't matter, but you can use a windows xp upgrade disk and do a complete clean install. It will simply ask you for a windows 98/me/xphome/2000 cd during the installation--you do not have to install one, then upgrade....in fact, I frown on it. (not that you should care if I frown).

4. If I want to make a partition for testing things out such as Linux, or games, what different steps am I going to have to take?
Thank you very much for your help.

during install, using the xp pro setup, do not use the entire disk for the partition...leave it unused

you can partition and format that later as needed. If you are going to dual boot, windows xp prefers to be the last OS installed....if you are going to dual boot with windows 98/me, you pretty much must install that first, since there are limitations as to where on the drive win98*admin can install to

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
For installing the XP Professional Disk, do I just put that in once already logged in, or ealier and choose "Boot from CD"?