Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Putting MS Photodraw onto USB stick.

• Please log in to reply

raspberryman

raspberryman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,
I am a graphics GCSE student and desperately need some help.
For my graphic design work i use MS Photodraw. Unfortuanately the computers at school don't, this makes it impossible for me to complete work in school.
I was wondering if it was possible for me to install Photodraw onto my 4gb USB stick, so that i could effectively plug the USB stick into a computer and run the program of the USB Stick.
Is this possible and if it is, how do i go about it?

Thankyou,
Will

Have a nice day,
PS. I am fairly unskilled in complicated computing such as coding ect. But can find my way aroud a computer. (So please, if complicated put VERY easy to follow instructions.

Thanks again.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
This would work only if no Registry keys or Windows folder/*.dll s are needed to run which I'm sure is the requirement for the graphics program. If you can't do an install on school computer, check and see if there is a portable program which installs and runs completely from all files on a USB thumbdrive. Something similar to RoboForm's RoboForm2Go or Firefox's Firefox Portable programs which all run from a USB device.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 12 May 2008 - 02:08 PM.

raspberryman

raspberryman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
mmmmm...
I'll have a go to see if I can install it on one of the older school computers which dont have as many restrictions on istallations and stuff.

Thanks you,

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Your welcome. Let me know how it goes.

Most powerful programs install to the Program Files folder with a Windows uninstall file in the HD's root directory. Some DLL files may or may not be put in certain WINDOWS folder(s) and, of course, there are Registry entries made. It may then be listed on the boot.ini file and some other system files. That's why getting a program to work entirely from a flash drive on different PCs is hard.

Good luck.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 12 May 2008 - 03:46 PM.