Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Obsolescense

• Please log in to reply

aaaa44

aaaa44

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
How long until XP becomes obsolete or at least not supported by MS? Is the fact that MS comes up with a new o/s every few years largely a scam to force users to upgrade their hardware, software and o/s's? My computer originally came with ME, but I can't really use ME anymore because at least it's too prone to viruses because MS doesn't support ME anymore. Is Linux and other free o/s's attempts to get around the possible built in obsolescence scam? How well do you believe these alternative o/s's will able to compete with MS in the future? On average, how often is it necessary to upgrade hardware and o/s's for someone just using a computer for internet surfing, typing documents, watching videos and other very basic stuff? Excuse the ignorance. My understanding of computers is basic.

Edited by aaaa44, 12 May 2008 - 12:02 PM.

Advertisements

Nemesis

Nemesis

• PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
Technically every OS they make is supposed to be supported up to 7 years after they end product support. This means you should be able to activate windows XP for another 7 years and get the latest XP updates. The product support for XP stops on June 30 2008 when the offical SP3 rolls out on Windows Auto Update.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Technically every OS they make is supposed to be supported up to 7 years after they end product support. This means you should be able to activate windows XP for another 7 years and get the latest XP updates. The product support for XP stops on June 30 2008 when the offical SP3 rolls out on Windows Auto Update.

Availability ends on June 30th, not support. Extended support phase will continue until at least 2011.

Windows XP and Media Center mainstream (aka current) support will end in April 2009, and extended support will end five years later.

Previously, Microsoft said that Windows XP and Media Center mainstream support would end two years after the release of Windows Vista. This two-year date had extended previous support. Microsoft lists general availability of Windows XP as Dec. 31, 2001. Mainstream support should have ended five years later, or the last day of 2006.

XP activation continues as normal, though there will come a point where it'll either be disabled through a patch or every product key checked is accepted regardless of whether its on one or 156 computers. :) We shall see.

Edited by Neil Jones, 12 May 2008 - 05:03 PM.